'93 IDI newbie: Some questions after searching/surfing

yellaheep

Reaction score
First: WOW! What an awesome website! I have already learned way more than I thought I could after spending a day searching! Bravo to all those that submit such detailed threads! I'm not a Ford guy, but this truck was too cheap to pass up.

Now, I could really use some more detailed information and/or advice.

I just purchased a '93 F250 x-cab 4x4 long bed. 7.3 IDI and no turbo, 5sp trans. I live in Colorado and the truck is originally from Iowa.

This truck sat unused for about 8 months until the owner determined he would no longer use the truck. The initial reason the truck sat - the driver's front wheel/hub came off the spindle and the tire/wheel rolled under the fender and rocker crushing up into the door - this happened as he was pulling away from having parked a trailer, slow speed. He says that he bought the truck 9/06, put 7K miles one before this happened. He also had done oil, coolant change in that time, and had replaced all of the glow plugs. He used the truck to tow a goose neck enclosed trailer for his rodeo entertainment business. This truck was supposed to replace an older truck, but when the hub divorced the truck, he parked it with no time to fix and recently sold his business. He reported no issues with the truck until the tire/wheel came off. Now, on to the issues.

The truck fired up fine after sitting, a little smoke at idle and a small fluid leak from the back of the engine block. I later determined this was from some very leaky injector return lines and o-rings. These have been completely replaced. I was unable to drive it as the left front was still apart and damaged. I should also note that the factory tach does not work.

The hub failure I attributed to faulty lock/pin rings for the hub nuts in the notorious auto hubs. I've replaced both auto hubs with factory manual hubs and the truck is now mobile.

The first drive: Idles nice, good throttle response, no hesitation or shudder. BUT - it will only accelerate normal to 30 mph in 1st or 2nd gear. Beyond that, it looses power and lots of grey to black smoke billows out of the exhaust. I can't get the truck over 45 mph in any gear. The injection pump seems to clatter a bit louder when trying to go faster, but not too bad...?

In talking to a Ford IDI enthusiast friend (who directed me here) He suggested that I replace the fuel filter and put fresh fuel into the truck as the first fix for this problem. I've replaced the filter, but it did look very recent and it was full of clean fuel when removed. I will put fresh fuel in it later today and report back with my findings.

Could it really be that simple? My IDI friend says his trucks act like that when fuel-starved. Would stale gas allow it to run well until higher RPM's then poop out? Seems to me that it wouldn't idle or accelerate well with bad fuel....:dunno

Anyone have any other advice on what to look into regarding this issue? What are the symptoms of a bad injection pump?

Thanks in advance!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but have you checked the air intake for blockage or a clogged filter? Might be a bird living in there. :dunno LOL Fuel could be. Might be excessive water in it. Change the filters for sure, and get fresh fuel in it. Not GAS. :D If that doesn't resolve it, the IP is probably shot. You might try overdosing it with Howes or Lubricity fuel additives for the next few tanks.

Also, before you take to driving it any more, do you self a big favor and change all the oils and fluids. Also, find out if those glow plugs he put in are Beru's or not. If Autolite or Champion, yank em' all and get good ones in there before you end up pulling a head due to a stuck glow plug.

Welcome to the site, and the IDI world!

yellaheep

Reaction score
Progress report:

Ok, I've replaced the fuel filter, replaced the very leaky injector return o-rings and hoses, confirmed that the air filter was nice and clean.

I also switched to the second fuel tank - which happened to be full!

I took it for a 20 minute drive around the neighborhood and side streets. It does seem to have improved and the white smoke issue is gone at WOT. It's now a black billowing smoke and not nearly as thick as the white/black was before. I think the fuel in the full tank stayed fresher??? :dunno

Another factor I hadn't wrapped my brain around..... this truck isn't going to run the same as my '04 Cummins. Definitely forgot to consider that this IDI has half the HP that my Cummins does. So, I believe that what I felt was power loss at WOT, was actually the govenor keeping me from over revving. Without the tach working, I didn't have an RPM reference.

I'll be getting a temp tag for it here soon and then I'll be able to take it on the highway and get the cobwebs blown out of it. I have a feeling it'll run a whole lot better after that and some fresh fuel in that empty tank.

If any of you readers are in Colorado - specifically in the Littleton area and could come drive this truck for me to let me know if it's running in true IDI fashion, I'd greatly appreciate your sending me a PM and see if we could meet up.

Thanks again for all the great info guys!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea don't expect a lot of power. Empty you could easily be outrun by a smallblock gasser, which has the advantage of much higher RPM's to make more horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online