'93 F350 7.3L IDI belt tensioner removal

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, I go to replace the serpentine belt/replace alternator.....and after threading the belt back on - I loosen the tension and the bolt on the tension pulley strips out and now I have to replace the entire tensioner (with enclosed spring) -- how do I get the thing off? Is there a nut on the back of the bracket? Or (please say yes) do you unscrew a bolt from the front?

Thanks in advance...........

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
If your tensioner looks like this, then it is just a 13mm hex head bolt that holds it on.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, they worked when I tried it. Here they are again but maybe I can't insert pics?:dunno

Gary got the needed pics anyway.

Last edited:

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the second e-bay picture --- and it looks like I have to take off the idler pulley also just to get at the tensioner

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
OK.. Now in the second pic I posted are you talking about the bolt seen in the pic or are you talking about the bolt not seen in the pic. If your talking about the bolt seen in the pic then you need a new tensioner because you either broke the bolt off or it stripped out. Everything seen in the pic is concidered as a one piece tensioner. That black pulley is part of this complete item as I posted. That black pulley is not an idler pulley. These serpentine belt systems do have an idler pulley in addition to the seen tensioner setup.

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.. Now in the second pic I posted are you talking about the bolt seen in the pic or are you talking about the bolt not seen in the pic. If your talking about the bolt seen in the pic then you need a new tensioner because you either broke the bolt off or it stripped out. Everything seen in the pic is considered as a one piece tensioner. That black pulley is part of this complete item as I posted. That black pulley is not an idler pulley. These serpentine belt systems do have an idler pulley in addition to the seen tensioner setup.

um, the bolt on the black pulley is the one I stripped/broke.

I believe I need to get at the silver lookin' bolt shown in tbrumm's pictue in order to change the entire unit.

But in order to get a socket on it (15 or 16 mm?) to get on it square -- unless I take off the idler pulley just beneath it. Maybe a knuckle on the socket might work?

again, thanks.

EDIT: was able to use a knuckle/swivel on the 15mm socket and was able to center up on the bolt -- and NOT remove the idler pulley -- part # is F4TA-6B209-DB http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online