'93 f-350 DRW towing 15k total

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've towed 15k - 19k/lbs with my F450 on a daily basis for close to 20 years. not the fast thing on this side of God's green earth, but I could stop confidently and that's what matters to me.
I've just towed with my non-turbo F350 4x4 from kali to College Station, Tx. and that was a miserable, and irritatingly slow run. Grateful I did a hydroboost conversion before I hit the road. conbinded wieght of the load and tow vehicle was 16840lbs.
these older trucks can tow a 10k/lb trailer with no issue. Turbo/Intercooler and hydroboost will make or break the whole trip experience.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Florida Chris

Reaction score
Reworked how I will need to haul, if I purchase this '93. Got my weight down to 12,100, including trailer weight.

From what I've read it seems I'm within towing capacity now. Assuming good brakes on the truck, and new brakes with trailer, do I have adequate stopping power?
I live in Central Florida... minimal hills.

I'm in no true need of the turbo for my purposes, the extra torque would be nice down the road if I kept the truck for an extended amount of time.

Edit: I can shave another 1500 pounds off by removing the FEL. Total weight is 1960, but I'll have to add some counter weights.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My F250 dually weighs over 8k lbs empty.The stake dump accounts for a lot of that sure but still you've got to be pushing 6,500 to 7k just for a dually truck I would suspect.
So call it 7k lbs to stay on the safe side,7k lb truck plus 12k tow and your 19k combined gross.Call the truck just 6k lbs if you want to argue it,your still 18k lbs.Pushing it's legal limits if it sports 4.10 gears and an E4OD.Anything less is going to have a lower combined gross weight rating.The odds are,your going to be over the recommended rating of a pickup of this era.If not,your dancing right on the limits.You need the F450 or a newer truck with higher rating if you want to do the job right and much more effortlessly.It's not as if the truck wont do it,it's just the F450 will make it proper and actually enjoyable rather than a white knuckle ride.I wouldn't over concern yourself with 4wd in Florida.Remember,the 2wd's weigh less and thus leave more weight for towing even with the pickups so.

It's not engine performance and it's not braking.My F450 was down with a bad trans a couple months ago so I combined around 19k gross with just 3.55 gearing.It did the job but it felt nothing at all like the F450 up around this weight and I have that truck beefed right up.Turbo,intercooler,heavy springs,hydroboost brakes.....it's no F450.Totally different feel to the truck.The F450 is made for it with it's thicker frame,hd rear and massive 4 wheel disc brakes.A whole much more enjoyable way of moving heavy weight around than a pickup.It's hard to explain really,just way more stable in every way is the best way to put it in words.

Diesel F-Super Duty - F450's!

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any non RV trailer over 10K requires a class A cdl. No exceptions.

goldsjos18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from were im from as long as your a farmer caring farm supplies (feed equipment implements ect) you dont need a cdl plenty of farms around here driving big rigs that have a regular drivers licence

Florida Chris

Reaction score
Any non RV trailer over 10K requires a class A cdl. No exceptions.

You positive? My (father's) vehicles in the past have pulled 15k many times with me as a driver, under the 26k threshold, combination or not. 17k rated trailer.

What exactly am I missing?

As far as the 4wd is concerned, it's a necessity for a few places I go most times of the year.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here's Oklahoma "law."
A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.
A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. if the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is 26,001 lbs. or more.
Any size vehicle that is required to show Hazardous Materials placards.

Florida.
A commercial drivers license is required in Florida for any driver operating a tractor/trailer with a declared weight of 26,001 LBS or more. Below are the differnet classes of commercial drivers license.
CLASS A: Any Tractor/Trailer combination that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS.

CLASS B: Any single motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle of 10,000 LBS. or less.

CLASS C: Any motor vehicle that has an actual weight, declared weight or GVWR of less than 26,001 LBS. when endorsements "H" or "P" would be required on the driver license OR any combination of motor vehicles where the towing vehicle is less than 26,001 LBS. GVWR and the towed vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 LBS. or less, but together they weigh 26,001 LBS. or more.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I think it's the same for every state, because that is exactly how Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming and Colorado have all been. All depends on the weight of the tow vehicle, so the f350 dually probably has a 9k-11k gvwr meaning it can pull a 17k-15k gvwr trailer before needing a cdl, but you can't pull a trailer that heavy because the pickup isn't rated that high. A LOT of people just see the 10k pound trailer in the requirements and think that a cdl is required to pull it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gross around 22K with my 89 F350 srw when I load my big enclosed trailer with tractors and engines for the threshing bees. Truck pulls it reasonably well. It's stable and in control or I wouldn't pull it. I can stop well, I can hold speed limit. What more do you want? Now this is with 3. 55 gears. I'm going to switch to 4.10 gears to improve my pulling power.

Non turbo will not be awesome, but it will get it done. I was n/a the first 15 years I owned my truck. These trucks aren't power houses, but I feel like people underestimate their capabilities. Somehow we all need 600HP and 1000ft/lb of torque to do anything.

I live in the country and pull in rural areas. If I was fighting Urban areas or the interstate this heavy all the time I'd probably be looking for a newer truck. But for as often as I pull heavy and the areas I pull it does just fine.

Now Any load under 10K (trailer and load) on an open deck trailer to me is nothing on these trucks. I'll tug that anywhere all day long.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Odd.
My 94 RC flatbed 4x4 PSD was either just over or under 7000 with me and a tank of fuel. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the country and pull in rural areas. If I was fighting Urban areas or the interstate this heavy all the time I'd probably be looking for a newer truck. But for as often as I pull heavy and the areas I pull it does just fine.

Or mountains, it's a different story when your climbing a pass and loaded trucks are trying to pass you because your so overloaded in a powerless pickup thats creating a huge traffic jam behind you. Get's a little sketchy at times, really makes the pucker factor go up. I hated pulling anything on the highways with my 94, 25 mph for miles on end on the highway/freeway....no thanks.