'93 f-350 DRW towing 15k total

Florida Chris

Reaction score
First off, a bit of backstory.

My family had a brush fire back in April here in Central Florida. The fire burned up my tractors and the old dodge we used to tow. The one tractor we towed (40hp MFWD), with attachments and trailer weight were around 9500 lbs.

I recently purchased a used 65hp tractor and with it's attachments and trailer weight I'm pushing 15k pounds.

I'll be pulling a new Kaufman 26' tandem gooseneck. With trailer brakes, etc..

I've pulled many trailers over the years with a lot of weight behind me, BUT... My father was the one who had the right truck, trailer, etc. This time I'm purchasing on my own and want to make sure my limited budget goes into the right truck.

The vehicle I'm asking about is a '93 crew cab, 4wd, dually, automatic. Looking at the numbers, I feel that this truck will work just fine, but honestly the numbers are a bit confusing to me.

Thank you in advance.

Florida Chris

Reaction score
It's a n/a with 240k on the truck and 50k on the engine. Good maintenance records with it.

1 owner vehicle, relatively easy life on the truck.

Edit: 6 new tires, recently replaced radiator and starter (1 year). Asking price of $3500, I believe I can get it for 3.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you found a GCWR for that pickup? My guess is you'll be far over that if the trailer is 15k pounds. If you care about being legal that pickup probably isn't going to cut it. Finding ratings for the old pickups can be a pain, do you know what the gvwr on the door sticker is?

In the grand scheme of things, will it pull it....yes. Will it pull it well...no. Will you be happy with the way it handles it...probably not lol.

Florida Chris

Reaction score
From what I can find I'm between 11 and 13000 towing capacity.

Are there any options out there to increase that amount while staying legal and under the CDL requirements?

Edit: the 15k total is my load and the trailer weight itself. Kaufman said the particular model I'm looking at weighs in at 4800 pounds, does this sound right to you? Trailer info in original post.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is good luck. NA and in peak condition these make 185 hp at the crank. Dragging 15,000 lbs with that sounds like, well, a drag.

Now turboed, your odds would be just a bit better, but you still have the legality issue...

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can find I'm between 11 and 13000 towing capacity.

Are there any options out there to increase that amount while staying legal and under the CDL requirements?

Yes, buy a newer pickup that has the tow rating your looking for lol.
The trailer weight sounds right, so then your figuring around 10k pounds for the tractor and implements? That also sounds reasonable for a tractor in that hp range.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer to your question is no.The truck isn't rated for over 20k lbs combined gross.You'll need an F-Super Duty (AKA F-450) for what your looking to do.You'll need the real towing gears and the much larger 4 wheel disc brakes w/ hydroboost.One of these will take your tractor in stride,where a pickup of the same era will struggle.

The F-Super Duty 1987-97 (the original super duty prior to '99 pickups) was Fords introduction of the class 4 medium duty truck. It was a commercial cab & chassis 2WD dually only optioned truck.They came with 460 gas engines all through the production run, with the optional 7.3l idi diesel engine from introduction through '94,then the optional 7.3l di (power stroke) diesel from '94.5 - '97.
Known at the time as the "One Ton Plus." It sports a HD frame,the hydroboost brake system w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.Though they are 2WD trucks,they are equipped with 4WD transmissions but,rather than a transfer case,they come with a drive line parking brake. A HD dana 80 rear axle that came from ford with gear ratio options intended for two purposes; heavy hauling & towing.They came in various wheelbase lengths with up to a 15,000 LB GVWR.It's widely known as the F-450 equivalent with many auto stores listing parts under either name.
These trucks are easy to spot with their pickup size cabs,yet unique F-Super Duty fender emblems & 10 lug wheels.
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13 (most common and what log truck has)
axle code G3 = 4.30LS (rare)

You'll also want to plan on adding a turbo.The gearing makes towing easy but only a turbo keeps the speed up,climbing the grades.

Florida Chris

Reaction score
Are there any of the super duties you mention in those years with 4wd? Some of the roads I go on it's a necessity.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The F-Superduty only came 2wd. There were a few companies that converted them to 4x4, but from what I understand they're pretty rare.

Florida Chris

Reaction score
Alright then. Would there be a year or series that I should check out that's "best" for my circumstances other than the 4/550's?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do a 7.3 Powerstroke F550 4x4. Lol
Any reason you can't get a CDL? Or just don't want to?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Florida Chris

Reaction score
I can get a CDL, yes, but I don't want to just to be able to pull a tractor.

I might see about downsizing the length of the trailer to see my weight and then revisit what size truck is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online