93 7. IDI Tach problems

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
So I just got this truck and we have fixed several things on it. My tach works, but when I turn the headlights on it stops. Any ideas what to check? sorry for the short post, in between work!!! just wanted to get something out there for idea!!

Dave

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your wiring behind your dash. My guess would be you have a short somewhere.

gandalf

Reaction score
Check your wiring behind your dash. My guess would be you have a short somewhere.

That's good advise. Start with the wiring on the headlight switch. That is a notoriously bad area and design.

Pull the switch (directions are here somewhere), and examine the wires.

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
We replaced the headlight switch and we had a problem with the connector was completely burnt up so we took that off and wired it. We still were not getting any dash lights and we found a wire that was a ground when the light switch was off but when you pulled light switch on it became a positive. That where was behind the cluster we made that a ground and my dash lights work although I have a feeling that is probably the issue. And probably goes back to the headlight switch. The replies are greatly appreciated we're working on it right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
The wire that was the ground that was turn into a positive went to pin 7 on the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to my EVTM. (For a 92). Pin 7 is a ground with a black wire coming out.

Pin 9 (white/pink wire) is th tach input.

Pin 3 (black wire) is also a ground.

This is all in connected c250 which is on the right side of the steering wheel.

On connector c251 (on the left side of steering wheel). Pin 1 is th only ground and it is also a black wire.

rjm65

Reaction score
I just went through this last weekend on my 93 F350 XL, crew cab, 4X4, automatic. My tach died also when I turned on the headlights. Also, my tach would jump in sync with the blinkers on and headlights off and had just installed a new light switch I did not have any burned wires, though. The windshield wipers were very intermittent and sluggish even after installing a brand new wiper motor under the hood and a new multifunction switch on the steering column.

The problem was a bad ground.

I pulled the plastic kick panel off of the passenger side between the front door and the glove box (end of dash). Behind that panel, I found three wiring harnesses there from the factory. On my truck these are for the roof cab cargo lights, the AC, and the windshield wiper circuit. Just for trouble-shooting purposes, I cut a piece of 12 guage copper wire about 10 feet long and went directly from the negative battery post passenger side to inside the cab pass side. I touched each of the black wires on all three harnesses and when I connected with the windshield wiper circuit all of the problems went away immediately. The tach came alive, no more needle bounce with the blinkers, and the windshield wipers work perfectly. The headlights and markers work perfectly. Even the little chime buzzer when the door is open with the key on came to life, and I haven´t heard that thing in years.

As a new project, I am going to find all of the grounding points on my truck and get them wired to battery negative, both sides driver and pass because my cab, fenders, and front rad support are rusted, and I guess the additional grounding can´t hurt anything, only help as the truck is going on 22 years old. By the way, I do not regret having purchased many new parts first and then finding the culprit to be a grounding issue afterwards. My truck is a keeper. Would replaced them at some point anyways. Hope this helps.

Russell

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Most of the time weird random electrical issues, especially the '*** only works/doesn't when i turn *** off' type are ground issues. Had a car come in once where the motor would immediately die if you hit the hi beams but was completely fine otherwise. Was a bad ground that fed the highbeam relay and a power relay for the fuel injection - with light off the highbeams off it would ground through the headlight relay, but flip the relay and the injection relay cuts out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance