93 7.3

gary rockey

Reaction score
that smokes really bad on part throttle deaccelaration raw blue smoke, i have had injectors out clean by a shop, took apart all but three injectors they say is fine, same problem just not as bad, can anyone help?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Gary.

When they say the injectors are fine, what are they referring to as "Fine"?

Did they pop test them to see how the injector is functioning

How's the timing on the IP?

gary rockey

Reaction score
well taylor diesel said they flowed them and 5 out of the 8 were not shutting off due to gummed up /dirty so they clean them and i installed them and no i have noone locally that can time it

gary rockey

Reaction score
if the timing was off would it not run bad hard starting etc? it runs great it has an intermittent miss as a stready cruise and smokes like hell when you let off the throttle and sometimes all the time

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sounds like the a few of the injectors are leakers still.
If the pintles on the injectors don't close all the way, the injector then allows fuel in when it's not supposed to, thus causing the blue smoke9unburnt fuel).

Correct. Improper timing will affect start up as well as performance.

How many miles on the current injector and IP?

Sounds like it's due for a set of injectors.

gary rockey

Reaction score
i bought it new has 224,000 miles but i did install the injectors new 2 yrs ago but it does sit a lot i am thinking the same thing but the told me after i had them out second time that they were fine i am to the point of frustration lol

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are in TN, but Southeastern diesel in Chattanooga seems to know their stuff when it comes to these old trucks.

gary rockey

Reaction score
thanks

a lot for your help, so at this point would you go with the hew injectors , i have thought about trying to clean the other three my self

bigbrown250

Reaction score
Try running seafoam through it. It's like 10 dollars at napa but works very well. I ran some through mine and it was more responsive then it was bc the ip was dirty.
Can't hurt and its cheaper then injectors. I've got new ones sitting in a box bc mine r bad.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your getting blue smoke after you let off the throttle its time to look at valve guides and or seals

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If your getting blue smoke after you let off the throttle its time to look at valve guides and or seals

thats what i was thinking, valve guide wear is a common problem on these. if they are leaking bad it could be causeing build up on your injectors.

having a miss is also something to address, have you done a compression test on your motor? sounds like you could even have a weak cylinder or a stuck oil ring leaking on you.

did replacing your injectors help your motor before? you should try to do some trouble shooting before you just throw parts at it. i hate to see someone just throw money at a problem and it not go away.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be leary of any shop that actually tries to repair injectors on-site. The cost of a rebuilt off the shelf injector is much less than the labor it takes to do an injector properly, in a shop that charges $60 to $125 per hour. My guess is the shop you took it to, did not have replacments on hand. They may have tried to "make do" but couldn't get them to pop decently. They may have just told you all was good and sent you on your way, just so they wouldn't have to deal with you anymore.