93 7.3 VAN GLOW PLUG ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend was asking me for some information pertaining to the glow plug system on a 93 Van with 7.3 that he has just bought.

He said that when he turns the key on, the wait-to-start light comes on and he can hear something click, then the light starts on and off, and a rapid clicking can be heard; the amp gauge surges up and down.

The van will not start unless plugged in - the temperatures are between 40 and 60 degrees.

He replaced "something that fastens to the back of the engine, that had what looked like a Ford solenoid on top of it, that cost $161."

His description sounds like he has a different system than the one on my 85 model 6.9 F-350.

I assume the part he replaced was the glow-plug-thermostat with maybe the relay made on it.

I haven't seen the van so I am unsure exactly what he has.

What does he need to get his van to start??

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, the 7.3L has a different controller than your early 6.9L.

He needs to check the components before throwing parts at the problem. GP's are more likely than the controller. Also the bullet connectors at the GP's can fail.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Basically, he needs to replace all of his glow plugs with motorcraft plugs. If he does that it'll start like a champ for a long long time. Mine have been working perfect since I installed motorcrafts finally and that was like.. 2 years ago.

Tell him to have fun getting to them in the van though, he will need to remove the fuel filter assembly to get to some of them, but that isn't too bad i guess. I can get it off in 10 mins now. Get to it all via the doghouse on the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk