'92 Dually 4x2 Questions

robbieyukon

Reaction score
Im new to IDI and trying to help a friend. Found her a '92 Dually 4x2 with 165k miles. I'd say its in average to rough condition, needing tailgate, rear window, oil leak fixed, and diff leak fixed. Its an auto, 4spd or 3spd?? I offered the owner $1,000, is this too much or a good price. Its a work truck with no hitch. Does it still have 4.10s?
Is there anything that she should do right away if she gets it besides change fluids and fix the items above.
I'm thinking a 4" exhaust is in order to let it flow. Is there a way to turn up the pump like on a dodge?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a 92', then it's a 7.3L with an E4OD 4 speed automatic. 4th gear is overdrive. Get right on it with fluid changes, and educate yourself in our tech articles (at the top of this forum) and the FAQ's (first few threads). There is a sharp learning curve but it is brief. Your reasonably close to a strong contingent of members here, so help is not far away if you need it. I'm a popular destination for pump, injector, and timing issues.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd hold off turning the pump quite yet, make sure everything else (cooling system in particular) is in good shape first. Diff leak can be a $5 fix if it's the cover leaking, engine oil leaks are pretty common for these engines (for instance I'm yet to find where mine is from) so if it's only dripping a bit don't lose sleep over it.

robbieyukon

Reaction score
Yeah, I figure if the seller says yes we will detail the truck, degrease the motor, and fix everything for MD insp. Then start with exhaust, intake, gauges, and then tune the pump.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
get some test strips and check the coolent for sca's and read the tech article about cavitation.

if its non turbo there is no point in turning up the pump
with intake and exhaust there is plenty of room to turn up the pump, I know I have done it, and have a pyro and made runs before and after messing with the pump.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If I add more air and let it escape easier then adding more makes power.

Not necessarily with this engine naturally aspirated. The motor stock is pretty maxed out stock, adding more fuel without adding boost is just going to make smoke. Put a turbo on it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for stocker's to turn up the pump, but you have to have a pyrometer in place to make changes safely.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
completely stock i got tons of smoke full throttle once i got over 2500rpm. with intake and exhaust in my sig i turned up the pump 1 flat and still couldnt get it to smoke more then a tiny bit i couldnt even notice in my rear view. And we dont have big grades here aside from bridges but i hit some big ones with my foot to the floor all the way up and couldnt get over 1000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online