92 7.3 tps and muffler question (new owner)

Da Swede

Reaction score
I thought i responded to this and came back to check and i guess i didnt hit post.

Thanks for the great info. Im all about junkyards. I bet they have to have a few in chicago for big trucks tho i have never looked for big junkyard. If you have time or anyone for that matter....Can you take a picture of this tach sender so i know exactly what im looking for? The pics make things so much easier for me and is a huge help.

I have an auto trans. Its got 20 bolts on the pan so i assume its the e4od confirm/deny? Where would be a good place to look for a new deep pan?

I plan on towing alot. 90% of the rest of its life will be under load. So i will get a trans sensor. I just need to know they exact spot the plug i take out and replace with sensor is. I saw a picture and thought i bookmarked it but i didnt. I have like 200 bookmarks at this point and should of labeled them better. Ill change that asap.

What is the range of temp for the trans fluid? What would be a good operating temp:?

I run mobile 1 in all our gas vehicles so a synthetic trans fluid change is on the list. What exact type of trans fluid would you suggest?

thx

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercron 5 or better. It's the pricey synthetic upgrade. Unless ( I don't even know if the e4od's can run this ) you wanna spend the bucks for some Allison trans fluid, it's legit 50,000 mile fluid. There may be other awesome cure all trans fluid but that's all I know of.

I am not sure of how the vans trans cooling system is on the idi's but it may also be a good idea to upgrade the stock cooler ( if there is a a factory one that is separate from the radiator ) with a beefy aux one.

Da Swede

Reaction score
Im going over to work on it now. I will take some pics of what i have and maybe you guy let me know what im dealing with. Thanks for the info on trans fluid.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the simplest way to know what auto trans you have is what kind of switch is on the drivers side of the injection pump. If its a three wire electrical switch its an E4OD. If it has a vacuum switch instead then its a C6 trans. Being the van is a 92 year its really going to be an E4OD auto trans. To my knowledge the C6 was not offered in that year.

Da Swede

Reaction score
I have an e350 its a tight fit. Im on vaca at wis dells with the family. I will update here with pics as soon as I get home. what type of coolers are you guys runnin?

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to forum and it is great. About the trans temp sender I have seen a T fitting installed on the transmission cooler lines right at the case. Install it on the output. It will read the temp before going to the cooler. I have ran mercron 5 syn in the e4od with no issues.