92 5 speed getting Banks Sidewinder, Moose Pump/Injectors, Valair SMF, Carter 4070

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm working on a nice 92 supercab dually for a client. I've been a diesel wrench for a couple decades now, but IDI engines are far from my specialty. The client is aware of this. My abilities are there but my knowledge base isn't near like some of yall's. So, I may ask some basic IDI questions from time to time. Try not to laugh too hard. I appreciate all of the advice.

This started off as a bone stock 170k truck. The client brought it to me with the Banks Sidewinder already on his shopping list and a clutch that wouldn't hold 5th gear any longer.

I've already installed the Banks Sidewinder kit and a Valair solid flywheel and clutch.

A couple weeks after the install, the client started having some fueling issues.

I found that the fuel selector valve was hanging up between tanks and he was pulling air from the front tank at low fuel levels. The truck also had signs of a stuck metering valve.

After a few conversations with the client, we came up with the following gameplan. While not inexpensive, we felt that it was worth the financial strain to do it all correctly and at one time.

Drop tanks, clean out debris, blow out the hardlines, replace shower heads (missing) with 3/8ths line to bottom of tanks (with swallow tail cuts), replace selector valve, keep factory steel lines, replace quick disconnects with gates barricade hose, add pre-filters between tanks and FSV, add a Carter 4070, Conestoga DB2, Conestoga injectors, Conestoga feed line.

I know that was one monstrous long run-on sentence. But, hopefully you got through it.

I'll add a few photos. I didn't take a ton, just a few along the way for the client.

Thanks for viewing and I appreciate any comments or constructive criticism.

~Wes~

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine bay as it arrived

You must be registered for see images attach

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch-I did not get a pic of the flywheel.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full pillar with Banks gauges installed. I would have preferred a pyro with a faster response time. However, as stated previously it is not my truck.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After finding a fueling issue the investigation began. As expected, a broken showerhead was among the problems.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All fuel was disposed of and the tank cleaned up.

The showerhead was replaced with diesel rated fuel line and made to reach the bottom of the tank. Swallow tail cuts were added to ensure we wouldn't pull a vacuum against the tank bottom.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that, new lines were ran. Steel lines were cleaned and left in place. However the nylon lines and quick connects were removed.

Two pre-filters were installed. A simple bracket was made to mount the aftermarket FSV. The placement of the FSV required two holes to be drilled in the frame. Then the feed line was run to a Carter 4070 fuel pump. The Carter bracket was used. But the bolts were replaced with longer bolts and spacers were placed between the pump bracket and the frame to provide clearance.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As ya'll know the less expensive aftermarket FSVs are not a simple fast replacement. The ports are in different locations, they do not have quick connects, the mounting flange is not located correctly, and the electrical connection is different. We elected to run this valave due to cost and the fact that I haven't seen the more expensive valves being any more durable in other applications. Plus, if the client is on the road and has a valve failure, then this is the style that he would be able to get on short notice. He did not want to go to a manual setup.

First things first, picking a location.

Since I was making a bracket anyway, I decided to change the orientation of the valve in order to make routing the lines easier. It allowed me to run the lines straight in and straight out, without having to make any sharp bends or risk kinking the lines.

Due to the mounting flange being at an angle to the valve's body, the bracket needed a couple of bends with differing angles. It was simple, but did take a little time to get it the way I wanted it. I should have measured the angles out after I finalized it. You never know when it could come in handy again.

Last edited:

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electrical connector was replaced with the new style connector. All connections were made and individually shrink wrapped. Then the entire bundle was shrink wrapped. The factory loom was placed back on the factory portion of the wiring and then the ends were taped for a little more water intrusion insurance. Photo taken before I finished.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping the the location of the fuel pump will be low enough to not have any cavitation issues. If the pump needs to be lowered, I can do so. However, I was hopeful to keep it tucked up high to avoid having the electrical connections below the lower edge of the framerail.

I plan to install the the DB2, injectors, and filter to injection pump feed line the end of this week. Those parts are being shipped from Conestoga.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated. I used the Delphi version of that fuel pump and it wouldn't push enough fuel at higher RPMs (filter light came on with power loss). I also didn't wire it through a relay with large wire. I just reused the wiring from the pump the PO installed. I'm wondering if yours will be just fine.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can’t nail down someone local to time the truck right I have all the equipment here

Wes,

After seeing the photos, do you feel there will be any issue with the mounting point of the lift pump?

I’m up for constructive criticism on this from anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online