911 Diesel Down

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am helping chuckdiesel (chuck) replace his glow plugs, one twisted out but left the tip stuck in the glowplug hole. What should we do? I was thinking if I could find TDC and try to push it in and shop vac it out or put compressed air down the injector hole and see if it will shoot out. How do I find TDC for #3 piston? We will stand by, dont want to pull the head on this sucker.

Thanks!! ;Sweet

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
DONT turn the engine over!
It will more than likely suck it in rather than push it out. Dont want to go there.
The compressor idea is the only one I've ever heard of working, but you need a compressor with I'd say atleast 125psi capacity.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is it actually still stuck in the glow plug hole, can you see it stuck down in there? Chances are if it broke of when you were taking it out, then shooting compressed air down there wont do anything. I would probably try though, just put a piece of wood over where it could shoot out at you. If that doesnt do it, you are probably looking at pulling the head. I dont think the glow plug tip actually sticks down into the combustion chamber, it just sits down into the pre-chamber. So if you want you could probably turn over the engine, but try it by hand first. I dont know if it will do any good though.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The glow plug does stick into the combustion chamber.
Dont use the compressor to blow it into the chamber, compress the chamber so it will blow it out.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont use the compressor to blow it into the chamber, compress the chamber so it will blow it out.

Sorry, I guess I should have re-worded it. I meant he should do like he said, take out the injector and blow compressed air through there.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I had one do that before I found this site. I did start it and I got lucky, it blew it out. I tried with the FSS unplugged so it wouldn't start but it just wouldn't do it that way. So i was frustrated with it and gave it a try. But don't take this as a recommendation for doing it. I just got lucky not knowing all the risk I was taking!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It depends on what your calling the combustion chamber, The injector and GP are in the Precup in the head. There is a hole in it that goes into the clyinder. There really is no combustion chamber over top of the piston on these like a gasser or DI engine, just the pre-cups.

There is a very good post in the arcives that talks about getting these things out, and bringing the engine over to TDC.

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea this sucks. I the dang plug just broke off bout a 3/8 if the tip and I can see it stuck there. I got compressor and a good shop vac. I taped a small bottle to the vaccum so the bottle top will fit in the injector hole and a Mac Tools compression tester hose in the GP hole that has a air hose fitting on it. We are going to give it a shot here in a little bit. Hope it works.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait......um.....aren't you doing it backwards? Don't you wanna shoot air into the injector hole and pressurize the cylinder and push the glow plug out?

Here's an idea what about one of those tiny flexible handle pick up claws and one of the single element lights on a flexible lead, if it had fallen into the cylinder you could just look in and pull it out of the injector hole. Don't know if it will work. But it seems like it would.

I got lucky when I changed my glow plugs, most of the were deformed and I had to wiggle them out, but none broke. I guess the better quality Motorcraft and Beru plugs don't deform.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, he said it backwards but we put pressure through the injector, every thing held tight, thenwe cranked it over and a little compression slipped by the stuck tip, so then we started it and alot of compession shoots by and sounds like an exhaust leak, we ran at 2500rpm for about 5 min and its still so freakin stuck. We are thinking about putting the air back on it to pressurize the cylinder and drilling it out if we can. This is nutz!!!

[email protected]

Reaction score
I've never had the pleasure of your mess... But, would it make sense to put the cylinder to TDC, see if you can push it in the pre-cumb chamber, and then suck it out from the injector opening? The injector opening is a big hold compared to the GP. I seem to recall somebody telling me about that.

Wayne

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you search the archives? Do you mean just old posts?

Yes use the search, I remember a post awhile back about this.

I've never had the pleasure of your mess... But, would it make sense to put the cylinder to TDC, see if you can push it in the pre-cumb chamber, and then suck it out from the injector opening? The injector opening is a big hold compared to the GP. I seem to recall somebody telling me about that.

Wayne

This is the way I was thinking.

suv7734

Reaction score

Wayne

You really don't want to push it in because getting it out is a big 'IF' and when it doesn't come out you have to pull the head which is what you're trying to avoid.

Another thing to try is pressuring up the cylinder like you were and soaking the tip with some carb cleaner or other solvent that will break down any carbon present to 'soften' it up.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really don't want to push it in because getting it out is a big 'IF' and when it doesn't come out you have to pull the head which is what you're trying to avoid.

Another thing to try is pressuring up the cylinder like you were and soaking the tip with some carb cleaner or other solvent that will break down any carbon present to 'soften' it up.

Yup, we tried that after fighting it all day and now we are pulling the head after we pushed it in and couldnt get it back out. will keep yall updated. i do have some reassembly questions like torque specs, how to realighn the ip and anything else important. We got the intake, ip, lines, exhaust off. back to work.....