90 454 Crew cab GCWR

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me roughly what the GCWR is on a '90 chevy crew cab with a 454 with an automatic. It's a buddy's truck and I forgot to ask if it was a dually or not, but I'm pretty sure it is with a utility bed on it.
He's visiting in town and told me his truck has been overheating on long pulls, and his tranny has been overheating and he was eyeballing an old ac condenser I had laying around for a cooler, and I asked him how heavy he was pulling and with his equipment trailer loaded ( a small dozer trailer with a pintel hook hitch ), he sitting around 27k :eek: Needless to say that set off some alarm bells. I know his trailer has the braking capacity for the load on it, but I think he is going to trash that truck without some serious mods .

He was wanting to take the thing half way across the country to work on some rental property and wanted to try to get the truck ready but I'm thinking he's kind of in over his head on this one.

Thanks--------Robert

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Called a dealership and the max rating on that chassis is 15000 GCWR. Tell him don't do it, and if he ever has to scale he'll be screwed. Besides, the fuel bill will make him cry a river.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks. You're right. I figure fuel consumption on that beast with a normal capacity load is probably around 4mpg . With that kind of load, he'd probably be lucky to get2.5-3 :eek:, but wow, 15000 max on that sucker, he's WAY over. He's just going to have to bite the bullet and tag his dump truck . It's going to cost him $1200, but the fines for the overweight and having to pay for someone else to hook up to the trailer and haul it home would run a lot more than that by the time they got through with him.