89 F350 Engine Swap Choices

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted your opinions on engine swapping. I've seen lots of talk of this I know 99% of the time it's better just to start off with the truck you want rather than build it up from scratch.
But I am just curious on what you folks feel would be the most cost effective (oxymoron?) diesel swap upgrade.

Looking to make 350hp at the crank.

1.IDI build?
Pros
No need to fabricate engine mounts or make major wiring modifications pretty much a bolt in

Cons
Lots of specialized/parts needed yet to be verified possible.

Cost? $3000?

2.Power Stroke swap?
Pros
Fairly straight forward bolt on for the engine.

Cons
Major wiring needed to be done (does the school bus power stroke engines have the ecm on the engine would it be easier to swap in?)

Cost? $1500 motor? $1500 Tuner+Other goodies?

3.Cummins 5.9(12v)/Ford 6.6/IH DT360 swap (Fairly similar in fabrication requirements)?
Pros
Simple wiring to get running

Cons
Lots of fabrication work to both chassis and drive-line.

Cost? $1500 motor? $1500 go fast goodies?

Maybe I am being too simplistic in my limited analysis but I think that if you were able to get a Power Stroke from a School Bus that has the ecm on the engine that over all it would most likely be the easiest to do overall.

Anyway looking forward to what you folks think.

Mahalo
pb

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cummins.

maybe settle for 250 crank hp:confused:

i prefer v8 sound.

they dont make the truck i want.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am into my cummins swap close around $12k, only about $5k is labor for other people to work on it. I got the engine and tranny out of a rolled pickup that was my dad's. I payed the insurance company $1200 for the pickup and sold $2200 in parts. That is factored into my cost. In other words if I had bought my engine and tranny combo I probably would have spent another $3k-$5k.

PS I am still not done with it.

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am into my cummins swap close around $12k, only about $5k is labor for other people to work on it. I got the engine and tranny out of a rolled pickup that was my dad's. I payed the insurance company $1200 for the pickup and sold $2200 in parts. That is factored into my cost. In other words if I had bought my engine and tranny combo I probably would have spent another $3k-$5k.

PS I am still not done with it.

:eek:

wow.... i must be a cheap *******. i slid my running donor powertrain into my ranger for less then 400 bux in swap costs initially.

i have not run into a cummins 12 v/trans/t-case with the condition/price point i want to pay when i had cash on hand to do so, or my e350 would have a cummins and the psd from the e350 would be in my ranger instead of the 6.5 from the other 1 ton i had.

16k cummins swap would have to be a factory new powertrain, complete with warranty, for me to consider it.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is amazing when you keep track of all the little costs, what it adds up to. I didn't go super cheap. I have an upgraded turbo, I kept all the Ford accessories that required custom brackets to be built, on and on.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yes, 16K is a TON of money for a Cummins Swap. The Doner truck that I bought for my swap was a 85 F350, the previous owner that did the swap spent $15K to do the conversion in 2000. He dropped it off at a shop, they put in a new Cummins Reman motor $8,500.00, and a brand new Gear Vendors unit $3,300.00 and the rest was misc parts, Fabrication and Labor.

10K miles later a tree fell on the truck and the ins company totaled it out. I got it from the next owner, 10k miles after that.

I paid $4500.00 for the truck, added another $1,000.00 for misc parts including an intercooler and tubing, some performance up grades and all of the nickle and dime stuff Incorporated in a swap like this.

Then I parted out the 85, and my IDI related parts, recovered my initial $4,500.00 investment.

So if you have patience it can be done for a fair amount of money, but one thing to remember, figure out exactly what you will need, set your budget, then triple it. You'll be safe ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online