89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. They are appreciated.

I did some painting. It went OK. Too many runs for my liking, but no major screw ups. I do need to reshoot the hood as I have a light spot in it. Major screw ups to me are the primer didn't setup right, the body work is showing through, something fell, etc. Most of these I've learned through personal experience.

Also here are some pictures of the bumper final fitted. I really need to work on my picture taking abilities. Somehow they are always fuzzy?:dunno:dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

That is actually one of my favorite colors on 80s and 90s style Fords. That is gonna look **** as hell!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so one fender and the hood had issues and needed repainted. I got those repainted. Turned out much better. Here is a pic of the hood.

I'm now working on the engine and firewall stuff getting it ready to put the fenders on.
-Hydroboost - pressure lines are installed
-Radiator support is loosely bolted on. I could save the nut plates, but the bolts where trashed I made new ones out of 12mm coarse all thread.
-Reinstalled the 4" exhaust I had when it was N/A, It goes from the 3" DP to a 8' ish piece of 4" to an up and over the axle from a superduty
-Ordered all new a/c lines
-Ordered a wiring kit for the 3G alternator from RJM fuel injection basically the heavy cable and fuse.
-Ordered a headlight relay kit from RJM Fuel injection
-Installed the new positive battery cable and one battery ground on the front of the engine. I went motorcraft.
-I received my new DB electric starter and need to get it installed. I just found the starter bolts so I'll be good.
-I have all new vacuum lines to install when I get the block mounted.
-I also cleaned up some black grommets and stuff that mount under the wiper panel. A little PB blaster and a nylon brush and dirty old plastic looks like new! I also got to figure out exactly what goes under that panel. I didn't take very good pictures.

I went to install my new a/c compressor, but hit a snag. I never opened the box and when I did it was a new alternator. I bought it from Uhaul off of ebay so I contacted them. They are trying to find an a/c compressor for me as we speak. I was impressed as I received the box like 10 months ago. So I would be completely OK if they had said "sorry you waited too long".

So the project continues. I'm really trying to get the as much of the front end stuff wrapped up before the fenders go on. I'll try to grab more pictures this weekend. Once the front end wiring and steering column are in it should start with a key. That will be a big day.

Later,
Jeremy

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coming along awesome man. Wish I had the smarts to be able to paint for myself. Moving to a house with a detached workshop that would be perfect for it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting is all about process and practice. Oh and of course it requires a bunch of tools. Paint and body work is probably one of my favorite things about this. One of the best forums for Autobody stuff is AutoBodystore.com. I'm on there asking questions a lot.

I'm debating on whether or not to coat the bumpers and running boards in a tinted bedliner. I would like to do them in the tan color I'm painting the bottom. I'm hearing the match can be pretty good. I'll probably go that way, but we'll see.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well rounded up some more parts for the truck and got some more stuff installed. At the salvage yard I rounded up some wiper sprayer parts, rear door belt line trims, bunch of light connectors for the front, door sill plates, a really straight tailgate and a new headliner. My headliner was warped from water damage because my trucks roof leaked.

Then today I went out and got some stuff installed. I got my starter installed, hooked up the speedometer cable into the transfercase, installed a heater hose for my tank heater, and installed the engine wiring harness. The harness took a bit of work. I had multiple ends that needed replacing. I also had it completely stripped of all covering so I installed all new wire cover on it and taped it all back up. Overall it turned out well, but took a bit of work. I also got part of the 3G alternator wiring finished up.

My 3G alternator has the plugs pointing at the top radiator hose connection. Seems OK and there is enough room for everything, but will this cause issues in the future?

quick shot of some of the engine wiring

I've been doing some buffing and stuff before I get parts installed. It's going all right. I ordered a new buffing pad and compound that's supposed to work like dynomite. We'll see.

This is the tailgate I picked up. Straight as an arrow. couple small dents and the aluminum panel has a dent. I'll fill the dents in the gate and work the dent in the aluminum panel out best I can. Overall it will work just fine and it only cost $50 bucks at the salvage yard.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on getting the front of the engine buttoned up. I installed part of the new a/c stuff. Other than the condensor the a/c system will be brand new. I spun my 3G alternator and figured out it had bad bearings in it. I'll be ordering a new one from DB electric. I also put on the wiper panel under the windshield. Slow but sure. And it never ceases to amaze me with how much stuff I have to order. I'm getting anxious to get the fenders on, but want to wait until I've got the accessory drive all buttoned up and all the engine mounted wiring.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read the entire thread. Great job on the truck and Thank you for posting all the pictures and updates. It gives me the nudge I need to get out to the garage and keep going on my truck. Please continue with the updates.

Thanks,
Archie

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love this build! Someone else who appreciates a Bricknose....
:)

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I need to get some new pictures posted. I have the front clip on the truck now. It's kind of been on hiatus as of late as I've been working on an engine for my 93 and I've got a 30' enclosed trailer to rebuild that was laid on it's side.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man it's been a while. I haven't updated this post for a while. Been busy with other projects. Swapped a 7.3 in my 93, Rebuilt a wrecked enclosed trailer in my sig, swapped motors in my Little bro's blazer, house landscaping, played with old tractors, etc. Been a busy summer. I also just had foot surgery. So I'm down to one good foot until probably mid october.

Anyway that hasn't stopped me from rounding up parts for the truck though. I picked up a 1988 tail gate from a kid on craigslist this week. Story was it came off his grandpa's truck back in 1988. It's dirty from sitting and someone slopped some latex paint on it, but it appears to be straight as an arrow and has a really nice trim panel on it. And it was only $65.00! Sorry no pics.

once I'm back on two feet the crewcab is top priority and I'm going to hit it hard again.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Its like you have been stalking me or something. I did not rebuild a trailer, but was working on my old tractor (71/2 IH CubCadet 127) and just got back on my 2 feet after an apparent stress fracture. Today, I started my IDI after several months of it being down for the tranny swap. Anyway, keep up the good work.

SWS

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am a fan of the old tractors. We picked up a 47 or so John Deere B. It was stuck, but a couple weeks soaking with diesel and it freed up. We've even ran it around the yard. Still needs a carb rebuild and some fresh magneto stuff. I also picked up a Gibson D tractor. they are from the 40's/50's and use a 1 cyl wisconsin engine and like a 30's chevy transmission. The cool thing about them is that they have a tiller for steering versus a steering wheel. It's about the size of a farmall cub.

Yeah this foot is for the birds. I'm anxious to get back on the truck. I'm anxious to get the front end wiring back in and get a steering column installed.

Question for the group. I'm trying to update the look of the interior. Would you keep the steering column black or paint it interior color like some of the newer vehicles? Seems to be 50/50 if the column's are black or interior color. I'm leaning towards interior color to be different, but not sure. I'm also not sure what steering wheel I'm going to run. I'd like to put in a newer wheel, but haven't figured out what yet. I think the 92-97 trucks can use the 97 up f150 and f250 wheels, but on the 87-91 steering columns I think I'm locked into older steering wheels. I may have to hit the salvage yard and figure out a wheel I like and then make it work. I also haven't figurd out what the difference in the mounts is. Maybe something simple.