'89 7.3 Starter problems

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought this truck and the first time I started it it turned over great as it has 2 brand new 1000 CA batteries. Ever since then all it does is crank over extremely slow...to the point that the alternator will only spin about 1/4 turn at a time. Does this mean my starter is shot? Batteries are still good, nothing draining them. Also if it is the starter, is there any easy way to get the top 2 bolts out?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check all the battery connections before you thru a starter at it. The lead terminals must shine for good currant flow thru the cable to post connection. As for the starter replacement they only have one top bolt and the hex should be 1/2 inch. If the factory bolts are still in there. For me the easy way of reaching the top hidden bolt is make up a 3/8 inch drive and socket only as long as the starter is. Some have found its easier to run an extension from in front of the motor mount to the top bolt... Thats about 3 ft of extension. Take the top one out first because the starter will hang on the lower bolts. Going back together I use electrical tape to the bolt to the socket to the extension. Test this before you stick the bolt up there. Make sure you can pull off the socket from the bolt and not loose it back up there. Again, strat with the lower bolts first when installing the starter so it has something to rest on. Also remove the cable from the starter so you have more flexiable room to work... And always remove the positive cables from the batteries before touching any starter stuff. You have about 1600 to 2200 amps just waiting to spark and burn a wrench in half... Or a ring to a finger or a wrist watch to your arm.... Oh yeah... Its been done before and its a mess plus.... Gravity always pulls all the pretty sparks done on top of you.....

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my starter yesterday. It had been getting worse and worse. One day it wouldn't

start. i figured batteries since they were weak. i loaded it with a pair of.65 series and glows would cycle but nothing when key was turned. I drpped the starter and one could see metal drip leaking under.solenoid cover. So i bought a gear reduction starter from advanced. They had an on line special of 15% off and 50.00off next 100.00 coupon when you buy on line. Out the door price was 131.00 With core.

Once installed i bumped the key and it fired.up like it had just.stopped running. It had sat for.almost 2 years proir.

sassyrel

Reaction score
also..loosen the alt belt, to check for a siezed alt bearing. have had it happen twice,,that the alt bearing seized tight,,right at shutdown!!!! doesnt mean yours has,,but check..

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found. the top bolt wasnt too bad. I used an extention on ratchet and worked it from the bottom. THE G/R Starter was a tad shorter so it. was.easier going in. Just remember the top bolt is shorter than the other two. Don't ask lol. Also the top bolt near the pan is for the pan. The starter has 3 bolts running from the top outside.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK..well thanks for the wealth of info guys, I cleaned all the battery connections yesterday to make sure but still this very slow groan when I try starting it. I just found it odd that the first time it worked like normal, but then everytime since then it just growls super slow...nowhere near fast enough to fire, so had to pull start it.
I also took the + n - off the starter connections n cleaned em up good yesterday but still nothing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.