'88 International 1 1/2 ton truck

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
Do these trucks have the same 7.3 IDI as our trucks or is this a completely different motor?

Power train specs:

Engine: V-8 7.3 liter/ Diesel

Transmission: 5 Speed standard, Spicer CM4054A with Power Take Off Access

Differential & gear ratio: Spicer 4.33

Attachments

• 88 inter.jpg
    88 inter.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 33

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Same basic engine with minor differences. But you want to talk about a PIG. They wigh close to TWICE what your pickup weighed, with the same 170hp engine:frustrate And top out at about 55MPH

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same engine, different IP govenor. It will only rev to 2800. The Spicer 5 speed is pretty cool.

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you won't be allowed to enter kali with that truck in 2013 if your stay is longer than 72 hours. do a search for "coming storm" thread.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is true. The same engine will fit our trucks but..... You need differant exhaust manifolds and the oil pan needs to be removed and turned around to fit a pickup. Its interesting how the design of the pan and block allows the oil pan to be mounted in either direction for the sump. PS.. You will need to change the oil pan dip stick location from the front to the back... Not hard to do either.. Its too bad ford and international gave up on these great simple engines.. Probably it was due to the dirty burn they had.:dunno

Kilted Celt

Diesel noob
Reaction score
you won't be allowed to enter kali with that truck in 2013 if your stay is longer than 72 hours. do a search for "coming storm" thread.

Well my plans are to add living quarters to the box so it would qualify as a "RV" or car home. I will be registering it in either ?Nevada or South Dakota as both states have no income tax, or require going to a state office to renew the tags.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my plans are to add living quarters to the box so it would qualify as a "RV" or car home. I will be registering it in either ?Nevada or South Dakota as both states have no income tax, or require going to a state office to renew the tags.
right now, that's prolly the best way to go. I really can't see kali messing around with the bluehairs and their mega expensive RV's. still, if you like going at a reasonably fast pace, that IH isn't it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Wow that must be a dog on hills when fully loaded, im an idi nut and im not putting them down but that would be very sluggish....

Will that spicer adapt to fit in a pickup?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
its a spicer 4054D more than likely.

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/1995_05.pdf

No, it would be a 4054A. I don't have my 4000 series spicer manual handy at the moment, but the letter at the end designates the gear ratios of the box within the series. All the A models are 5 speed direct ( that is 5th is direct, no overdrive, ) 1st is seriously low as well as reverse, 2nd is closer to a high 1st and goes from there. Any of those spicer boxes would be a much better choice for our trucks than the zf for someone who tows heavy. And they could be made to fit in a pickup without too much fuss. JUst need the appropriate SAE flywheel and adapter setup .There is a reason they speced those things in the uhaul trucks. They are a really great rock solid gearbox.

most of the commercial trucks that came with the IH IDIs either came with that or a similar Spicer or a Clark 5 speed Either option ,made for rock solid gearboxes. SOme would also be speced with Allison autoboxes , so yes, there is a more dependable slushbox option to the E4od ( I imagine it would also be rather harsh shifting running around empty)

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...so yes, there is a more dependable slushbox option to the E4od ( I imagine it would also be rather harsh shifting running around empty)

Those Allison boxes shift a little on the aggressive side in a S1700 school bus with an IDI, and just plain hard in a flatbed S1600 running empty.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Those Allison boxes shift a little on the aggressive side in a S1700 school bus with an IDI, and just plain hard in a flatbed S1600 running empty.

Yea, but you don't have to worry about them puking their little fluid guts out if you are stuck towing heavy in stop and go traffic on a hot day. They were built for a lot more weight from the start.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Yea, but you don't have to worry about them puking their little fluid guts out if you are stuck towing heavy in stop and go traffic on a hot day. They were built for a lot more weight from the start.

My concern would be drive shafts and U-joints we can only get up to a 1410 yoke for our axles if I remember correctly.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My concern would be drive shafts and U-joints we can only get up to a 1410 yoke for our axles if I remember correctly.

1410 is plenty stout. Even with my crazy tranny setup, I've still got the 1350 joint at the back of the zf and the front shaft is extra long ( my guy made it to max length spec for a single shaft and had to build it like a shaft for a semi to hold up against vibration to make it reach the Brownie in one piece. We did it that way with the understanding that if it vibrated like crazy , hed have to make it a 2 piece, but it worked perfeclty ) and it has a 1410 on it's other end then my short shaft between the Brownie and the diff has a 1550 at the Brownie and a 1350 at the diff and so far , it's holding up. Needless to say, I carry spare ujoints, but I haven't had to fool with them yet. When I go down into low range with a trailer on, the torque on things is beyond insane. It just pays to get good shafts built. I had my shafts built from scratch, I didn't have my stock ones modified, Aside from the fact that I wanted to be able to carry the stock ones with me in the event of Brownie failure, the purpose built shafts are much stronger than modified stock ones would have been. ( and had a price tag to match $$$ )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.