88 ford 350 dually

bbf604

Reaction score
first of all i want to say this sight is awsome:thumbsup: i bought my first diesel and man it has issues. first of all it won't start if it sets more than a few hours,unless i eather it? second @ 60 mph it runs 2800 rpm? yeah sucks the fuel. and finally it's a dog is their anything i can do to it to get some more power with out adding a 2000.00 dollar turbo kit. thanks eric

tractorman86

Reaction score
welcome aboard! you can find a used turbo kit on here anywhere from $300-$1000 and there are a few mods you can do to get some power out of a n/a truck. the factory exhaust is this engine's biggest enemy. and your starting problem sounds like a return line problem

bbf604

Reaction score
yeah somebody told me that before i pluged the line and put a plug in the fuel filter canaster. don't know if this was right but i do know it didn't work.cookoo i don't see a for sale section where would i look to find a used turbo kit. thanks eric

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is indeed a for sale forum here. There is also a boneyard forum (free stuff). Don't use Either without disabling your glow plugs, or we will have a really long thread about engine pulling and rebuilding.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
do the glow plugs work? most of these engines wont crank with out glow plugs, mine will but mines been rebuilt and i have timing advanced

bbf604

Reaction score
do the glow plugs work? most of these engines wont crank with out glow plugs, mine will but mines been rebuilt and i have timing advanced

how do i check them i just wait for the light inside the truck to go out. eric

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
how do i check them i just wait for the light inside the truck to go out. eric

Easiest way to test them and get an idea, is to take the plugs off the GP tips and get yourself a test light. Hook the test light to the positive battery terminal and touch the other end to the tip of each GP. If the light illuminates, then the plug may be good. If you find any bad, I'd recommend replacing all 8 of them. Be sure you only use Motorcraft/Beru plugs and use anti-seize on the threads.

If they all test good, then we can help you out with further diagnostics..

Welcome aboard!
Gary

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
how long does the wait to start light stay on? and is the any smoke comming out of the tail pipe as your cranking?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
While you are under the hood, you should really change out the injector return lines. This kit (Clicky) has everything you need, to do the job right. You won't need the copper washers that come with the kit, but it be a good idea to keep them in a zip lock bag..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does your WTS light stay on now? Mine can last near 20 seconds when it's real cold outside, but truck always starts just fine.

bbf604

Reaction score
How long does your WTS light stay on now? Mine can last near 20 seconds when it's real cold outside, but truck always starts just fine.

around 10-15 sec. on a cold day. yeah i was told to get a oring kit for the injector lines. i'll check the gp and let u guys know. again thanks for everything. eric

bbf604

Reaction score
i bought a 95 ambulance chassis with a powerstroke in it how hard would it be to put it in my 88 i think their direct injection right???? and would it even be worth it?? eric

tractorman86

Reaction score
for all the time and effort it would take i dont think so. WTS light sounds about right, if you want to be 100% sure put an ohlm meter on each plug with the wire disconected, each should be about 2-4ohlms IIRC. the marketplace has a few turbo kits in it. While you are N/A 3"-4" exh will be good. Ideally you want to run a better Ypipe, and i would use some kind of muffler, they get real loud strait piped. once you are turboed the bigget the better and the turbo quiets them down alot so a muffler is not necessary if you dont mind a little noise.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the reason i asked the wts light question was to make sure it was cyling the right amount of time not short cyles