86 bed bolts

grumpy1

Reaction score
I pulled the bed off my 86 long bed to work on the fuel tanks.
In all the discussions concerning bed bolts I understand they have a long square shank.
The two middle bolts are like that but the two front and rear have a long double d shank.
It's not a mismatch that is what the holes in the bed are like.
I need a few new ones of both types.
I see LMC sells them but there is no description.
Suggestions appreciated.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
On my 95 I installed generic carriage bolts, with washers as needed.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
One of the nuts backed and fell off of one of the original bed bolts (driver side, rear most) on my 87 F250. I noticed when I ran a small shop vac over the bolt and the bolt lifted and dropped back. It looked like a normal carriage bolt to me. I got a proper size thread bolt at the nearby hardware store. Maybe not the right grade, but I figured something was better than nothing.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m swapping beds in the near future, and was planning on buying these. They’re the style IDIot is talking about.

FEXON Truck Bed Bolts Compatible with Ford F150 F250 Lobo, Lincoln Blackwood Mark LT, Truck Bed mounting Bolts Replaces 924-313 W708605-S436 W709424-S901 https://a.co/d/cq6ZQrn

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through this on my 86 3+ years back when I pulled the bed to install the 38gal fuel tank.

The nuts were rusted onto the bolt, no way they were coming off. Had to grind off the heads, and be careful not to grind into the sheet metal.
My thinking they would drop out and I could just lift the bed. The way they are made, no way it was going to happen.

Thought about torching them off, but the L/F one has the electric and fuel lines in the way.

With the heads ground off, the bed will come up several inches and torched them off between the bed and frame.

Checked online to see who/where I could find new ones.
LMC had them, but the price was off the charts.
there are 6 bolts, and as I remember 3 different sizes and 3 different prices, and gold plated by the price.

Finally bought regular Hex head bolts with large washer on top, then a washer and NY-Loc nut on the bottom.

What ever way you go, be sure to lather up the threads with Anti-Seiz so they don`t become one welded together with rust.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01