86 6.9 rod knock?? Options??

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall

getting another idi an 86 with a supposed rod knock, got a turbo and a ton of good parts. My quetion is has anyone ever just rolled in a set of bearings like in a tractor or something?
Is there anything else that could make the guy think its a rod? Going to look at it friday.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes you can roll in bearings like that. You need to examine the crank really closely for damage and wear before doing that. A lot of times people think that an injector knock is a rod knock. They both have very different sounds if you know what to listen for. That would be MUCH more common than a rod knock. Unless something unusual happened, it's pretty uncommon to have a rod knock on one of these engines.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can roll in bearings like that. You need to examine the crank really closely for damage and wear before doing that. A lot of times people think that an injector knock is a rod knock. They both have very different sounds if you know what to listen for. That would be MUCH more common than a rod knock. Unless something unusual happened, it's pretty uncommon to have a rod knock on one of these engines.
Thats good to hear goning to get it home and try to start it see what really soumds like. For the price even if its a rod i did good.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For the price even if its a rod i did good.
That's the main thing. Get a good deal. If worst comes to worst, you can always replace the crank and put new rod and main bearings in it. It's not fun, and much easier with a helper, but you don't have to tear the engine completely apart. You can put the engine on a stand, turn it upside down, and do all of the work right there. In case you didn't know, the #1 reason to plan to replace all of the bearings is that one crank or the other may have been turned down in the past and you won't know that until you measure the one that is going in.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the main thing. Get a good deal. If worst comes to worst, you can always replace the crank and put new rod and main bearings in it. It's not fun, and much easier with a helper, but you don't have to tear the engine completely apart. You can put the engine on a stand, turn it upside down, and do all of the work right there. In case you didn't know, the #1 reason to plan to replace all of the bearings is that one crank or the other may have been turned down in the past and you won't know that until you measure the one that is going in.
I actually have another crank that may be able to be saved too. Good to know.
Getting this as a parts truck, but was thinkin of using the idi if it could be saved to replace theu dying 351 in my wifes 89 250

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She WANTS a standard transmission? That's a rarity these days and most certainly qualifies her as a keeper!LOL
Yea indeed she is a keeper. The 89 she has was suppsed to be a parts truck for blue, she drive it out of the field i foumd it in n decided she wanted it lol. As far as wanting a standard we both hold a cdl and drove team for a while so she not the normal house wife lol

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's last 6 cars were manual trans.
She just bought her 1st auto. this year. And she's not happy about it. Not many manual out there these days.
I think her auto. has 7 gears? And she hates every shift that it makes for her. lol

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's last 6 cars were manual trans.
She just bought her 1st auto. this year. And she's not happy about it. Not many manual out there these days.
I think her auto. has 7 gears? And she hates every shift that it makes for her. lol
Thats true, one of the reasons we just keep fixing the old ones no payment either.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.
I like auto's but I gotta say that I'm not real happy with the C6.
But I hear they're pretty rugged.
Screaming at 65mph sucks. But, luckily, I don't need to go 65mph+ very often.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my dually, I didn't know anything about these engines. It "knocked", but it seemed okay, so I would let it run and it got better. That's how I learned about injector knock.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im hoping thats all it os sire would be cool to find out its a good motor afterall
When I got my dually, I didn't know anything about these engines. It "knocked", but it seemed okay, so I would let it run and it got better. That's how I learned about injector knock

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.
I like auto's but I gotta say that I'm not real happy with the C6.
But I hear they're pretty rugged.
Screaming at 65mph sucks. But, luckily, I don't need to go 65mph+ very often.
I hear that, i have a t-19 so i onow the no overdrive struggle lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online

No members online now.