85 6.9 diesel losing prime?

vogelj

Reaction score
Just replaced the lift pump in my 85 f250 with the 6.9 last night because i could not get it to push fuel up at all, i replaced it, filled the filter up and she popped right off i let it warm up and drove it for about 10 min and parked it till this afternoon, it started , ran for about 10 second and died, i kept turning it over till it didnt have much cranking power so i threw the charger on it for a bit and pulled the filter off and it was down a bit, i topped it off with diesel and she popped right off, let er warm up and drove it for about ten min again, let it sit for about three or four hours and tried starting it and it will burn what it can out of the filter and then i gotta fill it back up it wont keep cycling fuel in, need help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At what level are the tanks?? Anything at or under 1/4 tank is usually an MT fuel tank... These tank fuel pickups break off and the fuel stops drawing at 1/4 tank... Thats the easy fix... Just fill the tank with fuel... How old is the fuel filter and are you using any anti gell fuel formula for the cold in your area... It is very important to install the lift pump correctly too as posted above...

vogelj

Reaction score
The rear tank has been pulled the front tank is about 3/4 tank or a little more,new fuel filter, PLENTY of additive in it and i have had it running and driving since i installed the lift pump so im sure it was installed propperly

msta999

Reaction score
These early models had a big problem with the secondary fuel filter on the fire wall/drivers side. Many just bypassed it and put a fuel water separator from a 7.3, in place of the filter on top. Also take a look at the return lines at the injectors. If they are leaking you will loose your prime over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle