84 Ranger Motors?????

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.........I got my son (he's 16) a 84 Ranger. The motor is gone. It's tagged as a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder. The bad motor that came out was a v-6. Would this be the 2.8 or the 2.9? It's a 84 Ranger 4x4, 4 speed. I know nothing about this truck other than I need a motor to put in it.....so I'm trying to find out what one I need............ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way......I wanted to get another tranny and transfer case and throw a 460 init....but the wifey said NO!!!!!!!!! That's probably a good thing, then I'd have to ground the kid so I could play!!!!!!

Kevin

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Was the motor that came out carb or fuel injected.
2.8 was carb and 2.9 was injected.

BJS

Reaction score
skip the 2.8 and drop a 302 in there it's a very easy swap and if you stick with a carbed motor it's even easier.

stock fox body mustang motor mounts swapped side to side for motor mounts bolt up and work very well.
Exhaust 70's trucks manifolds work great or aftermarket has full & shorty headers.

If you want a 2.8 I've got truck & engine i'm looking to get rid of but I'm a bit far away in GA.

bigdraft

Strokin..Not ******
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 302 need a different tranny and transfer case? If it does, no way. The kid don't need that. A 2.8 will do him just fine for his first vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

BJS

Reaction score
yeah the 302 would need new tranny & tcase to be done right and that costs pretty close to the same price as one of the adapters from Advance adapters to keep your stock tranny & tcase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online