84’ 6.9 Intake Manifold Gasket

StephenZ

Reaction score
Does anyone have a intake manifold gasket for sale? Everywhere I’ve checked has been affected by the shipping shortage, and don’t know when they will have one in.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It looks like we're going to have to start reusing them. I've done that before by using a thin coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket where it contacts the heads and the intake.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like we're going to have to start reusing them. I've done that before by using a thin coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket where it contacts the heads and the intake.
I agree that reusing the gasket/pan is not a bad idea. I'm not big on the RTV for that particular application, I'm more apt to use Permatex # 2. It's just a matter of preference.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I guess it doesn't matter what you use to seal it. It does need to be sealed when you reuse it though.

Weldingman

Reaction score
What’s the issue with getting them? Lack of demand so no one is making or just too much of a PITA to make and ship them?

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the deal is with finding them, I'm sure they will come available again but in the meantime I have had to reuse a couple myself and just sprayed them with copper spray ( the same stuff you use on head gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets). I spray it and immediately install the gasket without letting it dry and it seems to do an excellent job helping an old gasket be new again. 6.9/7.3 are not the only engine that valley pan gasket has become hard to find, 351/400 and olds V8 has also become almost extinct.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know it’s like anything else right now. FelPro was the only one making them, and they sold out. I got one of the last couple that were available anywhere, and I believe FelPro was saying it would be towards the end of ‘22 before this particular product would be back in production. Every manufacturer in every industry is facing material and labor shortages, and most are focusing on higher volume and/or higher margin products. If 500 or 1000 IDI intake manifold gaskets satisfies 12 months worth demand, it’s hard for them to justify such a small production run. They’ll run 100k units of exhaust manifold gaskets for a Chevy LS instead.

StephenZ

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve reused this one, but bent it while replacing a head gasket. Flattened it, and then put some copper sealant on both sides and bolted it back down.

A few weeks later ended up cracking cylinder 8, so figured when my “new to me” short block arrived I would throw a new manifold gasket on, however with the shortage that’s likely not happening until they become available. Thankfully this is just a toy I bought to play around with at the house.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I searched for over a month and finally found a NOS Ford gasket through an obsolete parts warehouse. I got the last one they had. I searched all the major parts stores nationwide and came up empty. There's a few price gougers selling them on ebay at ridiculous prices. Other than that there doesn't appear to be anything else out there. If and when they become available again I'm going to stockpile several of them.

StephenZ

Reaction score
Good luck. I searched for over a month and finally found a NOS Ford gasket through an obsolete parts warehouse. I got the last one they had. I searched all the major parts stores nationwide and came up empty. There's a few price gougers selling them on ebay at ridiculous prices. Other than that there doesn't appear to be anything else out there. If and when they become available again I'm going to stockpile several of them.
Just found one actually, out of all the places oreillys. 1 was in stock at the Baton Rouge Hub, and I just picked it up today. Currently waiting for my “new to me” short block to arrive, ended up finding a busted cylinder in the block the other night after taking the motor out. Thank god I bought this thing just to waste time.