80 HP pump and injectors, fuel economy?

GTFD

Reaction score
The 92 I'm dealing with has what are called 80 horsepower pump and injectors, I don't know what that is exactly but they are aftermarket bought mods. I'm way more concerned with building in fuel economy than power, do the so called 80 hp mods suck fuel?? Thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Not sure what a 80hp pump is but here goes. The injectors could likely be the Bosch 190hp injectors which are a popular upgrade. These injectors raise your power by 30hp over stock (giving you a total of 190). If the injection pump is a replacement unit, then it's likely that the rebuild shop tuned it up a bit which resulted in a gain of 50hp. That's the only thing that would make much sense but there's no telling.

With that said, you're probably at optimal MPG as it is. With a stock VE, most folks say to turn up the fuel screw 1/8" and that will get you a good increase in power and max fuel economy. You should see 20-24MPG in these trucks. Don't know what kind of truck you have, but for reference my '93 (see sig) gets 20mpg running 65 on the interstate and that's at stock power levels.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I know Piers sells them for sure (search for piers diesel research). You may also want to check for diesel shops near you and they can probably get them. Lastly, check with any Cummins repair shops in your area. Tell them you're hunting for a set of Bosch injectors and give them the part number and they can likely get you what you need. Heck, Auto Zone and maybe Napa sell Bosch parts and they may be able to get them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online