7.3 oil cooler problem

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this confused me the oil cooler has perfectly blended together and isn't a gasket issue because I just replaced them so if anyone has any idea right now im looking at a $580 fix and so anyone who could help would be great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but not enough information on whats wrong. The headers have 2 o rings in each end. then each end has one gasket against the block. the rear gasket is very thin so it must be glued to the header so it wont slip and cause a leak.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well im going to tell u where the coolant is leaking and start from there, originally I thought it was just the gasket because they looked cheap but they came with the new long block and so I used them, well replaced them with better ones and now im in more **** because when filling the motor with coolant now the only place it comes out of is all the holes where the oil filter goes so its somehow going right into my coolant

Idi93

Ford parts guy
Reaction score
Sorry about that. What icanfixall said. Some have used a vice to hold the cooler and a piece of 2x4 with a hammer to knock the headers off. Make sure the cooler and header mating surfaces are free of any burrs before installing the new orings. My personal preference is to use a hydraulic press to put the headers back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idi93

Ford parts guy
Reaction score
Is the oil getting in the coolant? If so, the 2 orings at each end of the cooler separate the oil and coolant passages. With age, the orings harden and lose the sealing capability. Since oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, oil will bleed into coolant but not vice versa

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The oil cooler is made up of three (3) parts.
Front header, bundle aka middle tube piece, and rear header that the oil filter mounts to.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok still confuse because to me its in the middle section is leaking being that they are mixed perfectly I mean this whole oil cooler thing is new to me and you all would know better

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understand that found that image but u know how the middle part has just holes and cant c that whether or not its separated?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No, you cannot.
You can build a pressure tester.
After re-reading it a few times, you definitely need the bundle part.