7.3 in an excursion or suburban

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about expedtions they have third row seating and are cheap cheap to find non running

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
how about expedtions they have third row seating and are cheap cheap to find non running

That's my thought. The Expedition is a bit smaller, usually a big plus for the Mom who drives it, and a lot lighter so the ol' IDI won't have to work quite as hard. I absolutely LOVED my '02 Excursion and it hurt to give it up in a divorce. The poor thing is parked in the ex'es driveway due to the pedestal leaking, what a shame. I wouldn't get rid of the 7.3 PSD for an IDI though. 8,000lbs of truck needs all the engine it can get.;Really Good luck with your quest for an IDI repower.;Sweet

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also want the simplicity,WMO capability, inexpensive maintenance cost etc

That is the reason I sold my PSD and bought an IDI. An IDI will never have a PSDs power, and a PSD will never be as simple to run on WMO as an IDI.

I think repowering a GM product with an IDI would be REALLY neat. Can you imagine the fun you could have with all the curiosity it would create? "Yeah it's got a Ford 7.3 diesel in it" :rotflmao :D :rotflmao

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score

Well, another major driver in this decision is the new Denali doesn't have enough room. Our old Yukon had a bench seat we put the three kids in. Our Denali has buckets behind the front seats so we need to have one of the third row seats in. Double strollers are big and leave no room for groceries. Also, I'm white. :D

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, another major driver in this decision is the new Denali doesn't have enough room......... Double strollers are big and leave no room for groceries.

That's what prompted me to go for the Excursion. With 4 kids, the 2nd row buckets were perfect. how many kids do you have?:eek:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kids run three wide in the rear of my subaru wagon. 6 year old twins and a 2 year old. I'm glad that we are for the most part done with strollers. Those do take up some room. Once my kids got out of the rear facing seats then the subarus worked fine.

I like the idea of this post. I do like the Yukons and Tahoes from 2000-2006 and they are fairly plentiful. WMO would be a nice option. Have you had anyluck trying to find an excusrion with a blown up 5.4 or V10? I always thought that might be a cheap way to come up with one to do a swap. In my opinion wouldn't matter if it was diesel or gas to start with.

An expedition would be cheap, but the engine bay seems crowded to try and fit a diesel in it. And the inner structure of the clip doesn't remove so it would be harder to do the swap. Versus a tahoe you can pull the front clip much like the 83-97 ford trucks.

If you go through on something like this keep us posted.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. True ill keep an eye out while hinting down drive shafts btw f150shafts don't fit wrong u joints I haven't forgotten

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moose Wagon does better than 21.5 MPG on the highway. That's outsstanding for a 9000 pound truck, and the only mod is an Edge CTS programmer running power level 2. However, the 4R100 used in the 02's have a torque converter setup, that combined with the software, will have you begging to push an IDI on a hot summer day instead of driving that overweight sloth that can't get out of it's way under 37MPH. THAT is why I'm putting a 6 spd in mine soon. That said, the Moose Truck would certainly give the Moose Wagon a run for it's money. Yes, the PSD is a more powerfull motor. It did an excellent job of prying $1500 out of my bank account when an injector sleeve cracked. And it could do that 7 more times whenever it wants to. Hmmm... Yup, I'd put an IDI in that thing in a heartbeat if it threatened me with the spector of expensive repairs again.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that would be gteat but wendsday an Thursday ill be at meps for a third time let me no though

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Found the Suburban. 1999 Leather and loaded. Needs front bumper, drivers fender, drivers front lights and matched paint on drivers door and fender. Can't beat it for $800. Runs and drives great as a gasser. Next up is procuring the IDI drive train. As soon as this project is done and the Denali is unloaded I can finally get to work on my truck which has sat for almost two years...:eek:

Last edited: