7.3 in an excursion or suburban

sassyrel

Reaction score
That's my thought. The Expedition is a bit smaller, usually a big plus for the Mom who drives it, and a lot lighter so the ol' IDI won't have to work quite as hard. I absolutely LOVED my '02 Excursion and it hurt to give it up in a divorce. The poor thing is parked in the ex'es driveway due to the pedestal leaking, what a shame. I wouldn't get rid of the 7.3 PSD for an IDI though. 8,000lbs of truck needs all the engine it can get.;Really Good luck with your quest for an IDI repower.;Sweet

get a friend,,to somehow,,thru another friend she doesnt know,,buy it off of her,,to get it back to you...

sassyrel

Reaction score
The Moose Wagon does better than 21.5 MPG on the highway. That's outsstanding for a 9000 pound truck, and the only mod is an Edge CTS programmer running power level 2. However, the 4R100 used in the 02's have a torque converter setup, that combined with the software, will have you begging to push an IDI on a hot summer day instead of driving that overweight sloth that can't get out of it's way under 37MPH. THAT is why I'm putting a 6 spd in mine soon. That said, the Moose Truck would certainly give the Moose Wagon a run for it's money. Yes, the PSD is a more powerfull motor. It did an excellent job of prying $1500 out of my bank account when an injector sleeve cracked. And it could do that 7 more times whenever it wants to. Hmmm... Yup, I'd put an IDI in that thing in a heartbeat if it threatened me with the spector of expensive repairs again.

expalin that cost,please..

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im too lazy to read all posts.

Youre concerned that the 7.3 psd costs more to maintain than an idi? the extra cost of maintenance is only the price of a couple extra quarts of oil at oil change.keep the fuel and oil clean youll have a trouble free engine that doesn't need injectors or ip every 60,000 miles

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you've got a Burb for the project already. I too can't wait to see the progress......

Great project man!

Heath

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You went a little older than I thought you might. Definitely a good purchase especially for what you have in store for it. I always did like the 95-99 suburbans. They have a very comfy interior.

I also am anxious to see how it goes! Keep us posted.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Probably be easier to swap a 6.5 in it.

Now, if I wanted a 6.5 I would've purchased one (I passed on a nice 3/4 ton 6.5 for $3500) but that wouldn't be nearly as cool. Plus I already have one IDI so why not go with them across the board? Less spare parts to have around for the Zombie Apocolypse too.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I thought about 2000-2006 but the price difference was quite considerable. I traded my 2003 Yukon in on my current Denali so I am aware of the differences/updates. If this swap goes well I very well may consider a 2000-2006 or maybe 2007+ 7.3 IDI Suburban. But that's a ton more money. My end goal here is relative comfort (kids and groceries), ease/low cost of maintenance, low build cost and WMO capability.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
It would be much easier to swap in a 6.5T. They are not bad engines, just make sure you take care of all the little issues when you do the swap. Also as someone mentioned a 4BT would be a great candidate and come in below cost. Diesel Power has their Project Armageddon going on which is a 6BT into a Suburban. They had to do some unfactory like things though. Also if you can, try and make it a manual. Of course you could always be crazy and do a DT360 or a Isuzu 6BG1T or even a Perkins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent