7.3 in an excursion or suburban

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
This may be better suited for the "Conversion Section" but I know this area of the forum gets a lot of traffic and I value your opinions. :dunno

I have an 07 GMC Denali. After fueling up for the fourth time in the last two weeks I am disgusted with it. I was kicking the idea around of installing a 7.3 w/ E4OD in a newer (2000+) excursion/suburban/Yukon XL 4x4. I can get any one of these vehicles for under 5K in decent shape or better shape with engine/trans issues. I know I may have to go with a divorced transfer case and custom gauge cluster. I'm not interested in adapting everything over to the 7.3 so factory gauges work (not that it's even possible). I am interested in making sure the E4OD will shift correctly (Baumann Controller?). I would also like the convenience items like locks, A/C, windows, maybe cruise, and such to work (should be fairly easy).

Before it's said I don't want a 6.0 Excursion. I would like this swap to total 10K or less and have everything work like it should. Any helpful insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ohio doesn't check your vehicle like other states do, nor do I live in a county with safety/smog checks. I don't really see much concern for installing an older engine in a newer vehicle.

bullwhip

Reaction score
Y not look for an excursion ps 7.3 I love mine its 4x4 and I get bout 17 w/nothing done to it yet.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound of this project. Like you mentioned, the electronics will be a big headache when using a newer machine. The radiator is a bit of a concern if using a 6.0 Yukon/Denali. My wife rad seems smallish for an IDI. Options IF engine temps are an issue...... call Jerry at Rodney Red and he can build you a custom rad that'll cool very well. The engine bay seems roomy enough for an IDI.... especially once all the emissions crap and engine covers from the gasser are removed.

You are certainly breaking new ground with a swap like this, and I would love to see it.

Heath

Last edited:

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the math first. $10K will buy a lot of fuel. Is your gmc gas or diesel? You do know that a 7.3 idi is not exactly fuel efficient, right?

Tow all the time or using the gmc for a daily driver? I drive a small sports car for daily use while my truck lives hitched to a trailer. $10k will also buy a nice used car.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I want to ditch the Denali. I have three kids in seats and need more room than any car can offer. I also want the simplicity, WMO capability, inexpensive maintenance cost etc... But I would like to put my wife in a more comfortable ride. She would NOT appreciate driving my dually. Although it's no newer Denali I think a mid 90's full size extended SUV would be the only way to meet our wants. (Groceries dont fair too well in a truck bed) As far as the 7.3 DI or 6.0 Excursions...I'm scared to death of maintenance costs. By the time its "cash" affordable it needs all kinds of work. For my family ride I have avoided major maintenance in the past by purchasing a 2-4 year old vehicle, keeping it for 5 years, trading it in and repeating. I'm sick of having a payment. $400-700.00 vehicle payment, $150 monthly insurance, ~$150 week for fuel....it's getting old. By the time it's traded in it needs some type of fairly expensive work. It's time for a change. The 7.3 IDI is cheap, versatile, reliable, easy to work on, etc., a mid 90's running gas suburban is $1500-4000.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Do the math first. $10K will buy a lot of fuel. Is your gmc gas or diesel? You do know that a 7.3 idi is not exactly fuel efficient, right?

Tow all the time or using the gmc for a daily driver? I drive a small sports car for daily use while my truck lives hitched to a trailer. $10k will also buy a nice used car.

$10000.00 is less than 9 months of fuel for me...

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on doing the work yourself? I would certainly be interested in taking on this project. I do a couple of drivetrain swaps every year on a professional level. This year has been a 5.4L Triton in a 78 F-150 short bed, 4bt Cummins in a 80series Land Cruiser, 6.0L in a 69 1ton Chevy, and IDI swap in my own 75 F-350. Not to mention everything else I build.

What kind of expectations do you have for mileage?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Jezus Johnson, that's a whole 'lotta fuel. I thought the $5500 a year I burn on fuel was bad! :puke:

I don't know about the emissions laws in your state, but out here in the sunny state of california you can only "upgrade" an engine in a vehicle with one of an equal or newer model year. So taking a 2000 MY Yukon and dropping a '90's vintage IDI would not fly. A good part of the reason why the IDI went away was in fact the emissions laws. The gubbermint is in no way, shape, or form going to be happy about you upsetting their "progress" by ten or more years...

I admit it does sound like a cool project, though.

If it were me, I would buy a 7.3 powerstroke Excursion, pocket the difference when you start saving on fuel costs and put it aside for maintenance and repair on the stroker. For what it's worth myself among others have indeed had catastrophic failures on an IDI, show stopping failures (I wasted a well maintained 7.3 engine) and no vehicle is immune to failure...

EDIT - I did reread your portion about safety/smog checks... Cali also used to exempt all diesel trucks under 15 GVWR from smog checks... That changed last year and now all vehicles MY 98 and newer have to have them done. I would be nervous about doing a full custom engine swap on a newer truck and then, one day, the state/county officials saying SURPRISE, inspection time... Just a thought. :dunno

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a minivan might be what you need. Some are awd. Keep the gmc for towing. That's a huge fuel bill.

I still say do the math and go with what the numbers say. I had an 86 suburban 3/4 ton w/ 454 and I figured the money I was spending in gas was enough to make payments on a new truck AND gas for it. I ended up buying a used car for DD use and a titan for towing and for wife's use. It was a very sound decision.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on doing the work yourself? I would certainly be interested in taking on this project. I do a couple of drivetrain swaps every year on a professional level. This year has been a 5.4L Triton in a 78 F-150 short bed, 4bt Cummins in a 80series Land Cruiser, 6.0L in a 69 1ton Chevy, and IDI swap in my own 75 F-350. Not to mention everything else I build.
Not to hijack the thread....... but do you have a website or an online photo albulm with photos of these cool projects? Would love to see them.

Heath

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score

What kind of expectations do you have for mileage?

Sounds like you have quite the operation. I plan on doing the swap myself. After all, what fun is it unless you do it yourself?

My Denali gets 12-17. I am expecting around a combined city/highway 15mpg + with the IDI, E4OD and gear vendors.

gsxjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked in ti a centurien or however you spell it there a beautifule black one with an idi in the colombus area for under 8 g

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online