7.3 in a rockcrawler wiring question

broncoholic

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting a 7.3 idi into an early bronco skinned rockcrawler on a 79 bronco frame with military axles. I'm new to the diesel scene with an ongoing 7.3 swap on my 91 4 door bronco. How would I go about hooking a 7.3 up to something like a painless performance drag race style wiring harness?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
An IDI doesnt really need all that much wiring to run. You need a 12volt source for the fuel shut off silenoid (allows fuel to flow to injectors), and some good batteries to turn it over. You could wire it up easier and cheaper by yourself I would think.

broncoholic

Reaction score
Great, so the starter and fuel shutoff solenoid. What about the glowplug system? And will I need an electric fuel pump or does the fuel pump on the engine pull straight from the tank?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glows, well, you could run a controller, but, for simplicity's sake, a simple relay and pushbutton will more than do the trick.
For the starter, you don't need an external solenoid like Ford used, all it triggers on a Ford app is the wire that triggers the starter mounted solenoid.
As for the fuel pump, there is a mechanical lift pump on the engine, but, personally, on an application that isn't going to be running every day, I'd do an electric pump so that you don't end up with starting issues due to possible air leaks in the return system.

http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/81f100/oct05/MVI_2392.avi
If you look closely, you'll see a green jumper wire going form the battery + to the engine harness terminal block on the pass side inner fender. That feeds the fuel shutoff valve. Other than the positive and negative on the battery, that is all that is hooked up to keep the engine running.

broncoholic

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found an 83 e350 with a 6.9 cheap. He said twice a relay(?) blew on it and he parked it. Should be perfect for what I need. I might have some more questions when I get started next week. Anybody want to trade a 2wd c6 for a 4wd c6 or a flywheel and bellhousing ?