7.3 idi water pump spacer nut

Jerby

Reaction score
I own a 93 7.3 idi. The question I hope that can get answered is my water pump currently has what I am going to call a extension nut. Or at least I think it is as all other 6.9 and 7.3's I have seen doesn't have this. I have tried to hold down the water pump pulley with a chain in one of the bolts but can't break it free, yes left hand thread. The reason for this extension is previous owner had a hydraulic pump that was belt driven off of crank pulleys, that was also added, and this nut on water pump pulley was used to space out clutch fan to clear the added pulleys on crank.

This put's it too close to radiator for my comfort, as yes it did tag the radiator twice, had to fix while camping. Don't really want to go beating and prying the nut off the water pump for fear of hurting it if this "extension I'm calling it" isn't really an extension and was built on the water pump. Thought about putting a little heat to it but hate to take the seal out.

I'll pry harder and tap on it with a hammer if I'm for sure it is supposed to come off but want to make sure before I go further.

Thanks for your input.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to your first posting. Sad to tell you I have no idea what or why this is on your engine. Even with the explanations given it sounds like it was a bad idea. Best I can tell you is the water pump threads are a left hand thread. Many members here will use blue loctite on these threads because some fans have come loose when the engines suddenly stop running. the high compression will stop the crank rotation very quickly. If the fan nut is not tight to 165 ft lbs of torque they will spin off and ruin the radiator. If you use heat be cautious of the water pump seal and the fan clutch shaft seal. They can take 250 degrees and not be damaged so purchase a point and shoot temp gun from harbor freight to get a metal temp. Or find a welding supply store and buy a temp stick at 250 degrees. It looks like a stick of black board chalk. You keep touching it to the metal being heated till the stick melts.

Jerby

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
If I did this correctly here is the picture of what I am talking about.

Jerby

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member