7.3 idi turned up?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure my old pump was turned up but I just want to confirm....she rolls coal when floored (parked, not always when driving) and when accelerating up a steep hill empty going 70mph (gets to 70mph in a good time too) she lays down a trail of black smoke. She's also pretty peppy for being a N/A motor as she easily spins my yokohama geolander g003,s

Sound about right for a pump that was turned up?

mintmoballen

Reaction score
yeah sounds about right for a pump that's been turned up. if I were you I would turn the fuel back until you only get a very light amount of smoke coming out the exhaust under heavy load. any more than that and you're just ******* your money away in the form of smoke.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah sounds about right for a pump that's been turned up. if I were you I would turn the fuel back until you only get a very light amount of smoke coming out the exhaust under heavy load. any more than that and you're just ******* your money away in the form of smoke.

For sure, I actually have a new pump coming but I was just wondering if my suspicions was right

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is turning up your pump bad? will it decrease its life?
i was wanting to turn mine up

mintmoballen

Reaction score
No it's not bad, no won't decrease the life of the pump. All it does is let the plungers in the pump move farther. I wouldn't turn the pump up very far (maybe 1 flat) if you don't have a turbo.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wanting to turn mine up
You have to worry about EGT's I always was scared to go up this steep hill at 70mph because of all the smoke it would put out.....I suspected it was turned up ever since i first saw it roll coal but wasn't sure.

I will say my truck being a N/A 7.3 had similar driving style to the 2014 f150 fx4 5.0 I use to daily. I'm curious how it will do with the stock pump but I also might just get R&D's N/A injector pump which is slightly turned up and just throw a pryo meter on (I'm getting a egt gauge regardless of which pump I go with).

I feel like whoever turned my truck up knew what the was doing as it got over 20mpgs on the highway with the 3.55 gear ratio and e40d on 285/75/r16 M/T's