7.3 IDI Timing

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do it without much trouble. Just print out the info linked above and take your time. Find the "Y" mark on the cam gear and line it up with the "Y" mark on the IP gear and you've got it whipped.

I'd be worried a shop or even a dealer would have no earthly idea what to do with these IDI's and make your problem worse while costing you money.

Heath

charliee22

Reaction score
okay i noticed a plate that looks to be bolted to the front of the motor behind the waterpump i can take this off to line my gears up then put it back together right.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I talked to local ford dealership and i told them what i had a what needed to be done they said they could do it but who knows he told me he would call me right back to give me a price cause he would have to look but that was about and hour ago and i havent heard anything i really love how people just jerk you around.

I seriously doubt that they still have the equipment laying around the tool crib to properly time the thing, let alone anyone left in the shop who remembers how to do it. They haven't been required to service these things since about 2002 and once their obligation to the factory is up, they usually sell off the special tools associated with those vehicles . This is a matter of practicality for a dealership as the sheer number of special tools associated with each new vehicle is mind boggling and takes up an enormous amount of space. They simply can't keep special tools around for obsolete vehicles, and most of the mechanics around in the heyday for these things have gone into private practice by now ( and bought up some of the old tools in the process ) or retired
All these old Rotunda timing tools that show up on ebay, originally came from dealerships. There are a few sellers on ebay that speciallize in liquidating dealership tool inventories to help them keep their tool cribs under managable size. Some come from dealerships that have gone out of business, but most are simply annual tool inventory turnover.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What about taking the front plate behind the water pump off and doing it that way would it work?

If you want to take all that off to line the gear up, it would make the gear lining up part easier, but you'd be opening up a bunch of cans of worms in the process and it would take a heck of a long time to do it that way. Ziggs method from that link works quite well. It takes some patience, and likely more than one attempt, but still easier than ripping the front of the engine apart.
Only reason I could see tearing the front apart is if you had suspicions about your water pump being a leaker or a squeeker and it's due for replacement anyway.