7.3 IDI Timing

charliee22

Reaction score
I screwed up real good by pulling my injector pump off with my top timing gear and cant get it timed right how do I do this.

charliee22

Reaction score
Never really done anything like this to a diesel would I be better off just taking it to a local shop and having them do it or is there really anything i can mess up.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
to be honest ive never messed with the fuel system. The guy to talk to is agnem about the timing.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Once you get it all back together you will need to re time the pump, you will need to pickup something like a Ferret and between that and a automotive advance type inductive timing light, you can time the thing properly. it will cost about as much to buy the thing as it would to pay someone and chances are if you pay for it, the job will not be done correctly, so might as well buy the tool and have it.
Alternatively, if you happen to be running through central Arkansas after you get it together, you're welcome to drop by and we can time it up here.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, most shops scare me, unless they are well known here for providing good support. Most techs who see these motors, may well be seeing them for the first time, and they can do a world of damage due to ignorance.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a few guys that were mechanics at ford, I asked them how they timed these motors and have been told several times that they did it by ear. Then thet would have the customer drive the truck. If they were happy everything was good to go.

This is by far not the most accurate method.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about setting the timing but this thread seems to follow [my]logic and I suspect will stand up to engineering scrutiny for accuracy.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/593483-using-glow-plugs-to-super-tune-the-engine.html

A lot of hullaballoo went around over that spiel a few months ago , but when it boils down, the guy has a half a theory that may or may not work on anything, but he's not even willing to cut loose with any real information. A total waste of time burning out my retinas weeding through that mess. All the theories on earth are fine and dandy but in the real world there are too many variables in diesel fuel station to station and load to load for any of that to be of any use.

I've been wrenching on diesels for years and you have to set the things up to operate on whatever comes around and with a guestimation of the altitude the thing is going to run at most of the time That requires calculating a common timing spec with slight variations for extreme locations.
8.5 deg btdc was the original factory setting on the high sulfur fuel and when I came to the conclusion that the European engines had for years had a different spec for engines operated there than they did here due to the fact that they have had ULSd fuel for years, it was a simple matter of calculating the difference into degrees of crankshaft rotation with the help of Justin and some other members here and we came up with the timing figure of 9.7 deg btdc as the ideal timing setting to be used with the ULSD fuel to recover the power and fuel mileage lost with the introduction of the new fuel. It has been working out well for everyone who's tried it.

This idea came to me when thinking about how I had tried to set one of the European diesels to the euro spec one time on the old high sulfur fuel and the poor thing nearly rattled itself to death from being too far advanced, I Realized that the sulfur effected the burn rate and was the reason that all the European diesels had two different timing specs. They will run at the Euro spec now on the new fuel. Obviously Bosch has already done all the calculations.

The 9.7 could be adjusted up slightly for high altitude but remembering the max of 10.5 about 10.2 would most likely be ideal for extreme high altitude( 10.5 was the max before glow plug damage can start , although with the new fuel, I would assume that the figure would be pushed up due to the change in burn rate, but no sense in taking any kind of undue chances where they aren't needed.)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know a few guys that were mechanics at ford, I asked them how they timed these motors and have been told several times that they did it by ear. Then thet would have the customer drive the truck. If they were happy everything was good to go.

This is by far not the most accurate method.

That's the problem, that's what most shops end up doing. If you call and ask if they have the equipment to time your diesel, they assume the thing has a computer plug in port where they can make the timing adjustment with a computer and when you show up with the thing, , they havent got a clue, so they just twist the pump till the smoke and rattle goes down and charge a hundred bucks and send you on your way , saying the thing had been "timed" . THis is a joke at best . Fuel mileage will be in the toilet , engine can overheat,and if lucky glow plugs won't be damaged.

charliee22

Reaction score
I talked to local ford dealership and i told them what i had a what needed to be done they said they could do it but who knows he told me he would call me right back to give me a price cause he would have to look but that was about and hour ago and i havent heard anything i really love how people just jerk you around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online