7.3 IDI lost oil pressure

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B4 it was 18-22 psi at hot idle now it's 9- and goes lower 5- when I engage the clutch, with as much $$$ as I have in it better safe than sorry for me. If it was a very high mileage engine I wouldn't worry about it but with 3200 miles on it no go for me. And I did reuse the oil pump lesson learned

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mech gauge runs off the mains and my factory one is intact, the turbo is fed off the mains as well

joel1847

Reaction score
Oil cooler or filter going into bypass? You are in Cottonwood which is colder than where I'm at in Corning and I've been having some weirdness with oil pressure as well. I haven't replaced my stock gauge yet, but I'm also going to switch to Mobil synthetic as it's been in the high 20's, low 30's at 7 in the morning when I take the grandaughter to school, so figure might as well be safe than sorry. New gauges will be going in soon.

Joel
norcal

joel1847

Reaction score
I am currently running Rotella and had no problems this summer or until late Nov. I only have 1500 miles on this oil, so when I drain it, I'm going to drain it into a clean bucket and save it for this summer or maybe just set it off to the side just in case. I've heard good things about 5w40 in colder temps so I figured I'd give it a shot with O Reilley's and Autozone having it on sale and having 40$ in autozone reward points to spend.

Joel
norcal

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome to see another north,northern cal person on here lol.... It's cheapish insurance to take a peek. I also have to do the cab mounts and add 1inch spacers to the cab anyway so it will make the job a little easier to do.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lost oil pressure UPDATE:

Finally got to lift the motor and pull the oil pan and in the bottom was this

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like a few more of them are about to fall out as well. Don't know how much if any damage was done yet. Going to pull the motor tomorrow. Gotta see if the shop who built the bottom end will make it right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those bolts are special and they come with a drop or blue loc tite on them. If a shop installed any old found bolt down there they made a huge mistake. The FACTORY SHOP MANUAL STATES NEVER USE ANYTHING BUT THE OEM FACTORY BOLTS THERE. Any shop worth a crap is supposed to know this. No excuses any shop telling you... "Oh.. We did not know this"... RTFM dude before you wreck something like this... I'm paying you to know what the hell your doing...

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those bolts are special and they come with a drop or blue loc tite on them. If a shop installed any old found bolt down there they made a huge mistake. The FACTORY SHOP MANUAL STATES NEVER USE ANYTHING BUT THE OEM FACTORY BOLTS THERE. Any shop worth a crap is supposed to know this. No excuses any shop telling you... "Oh.. We did not know this"... RTFM dude before you wreck something like this... I'm paying you to know what the hell your doing...

I agree with you, I paid good money for a service and they failed. I have always said if you want it done right you have do it yourself, in this instance I am not qualified enough for assembling a rotating assembly. Guess I should learn

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, I paid good money for a service and they failed. I have always said if you want it done right you have do it yourself, in this instance I am not qualified enough for assembling a rotating assembly. Guess I should learn

if you can change a IP and injectors, you can build a lower end. I have some squirters from my cracked block if ya need em
but you gotta buy your own bolts :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online