7.3 IDI lost oil pressure

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys haven't spent the most time on here recently with work and tidying up the truck my days are shot.. Anywho I was driving into town today as any other day, listening to the sweet sound of turbo whistle and the engine purring like a kitten. Pulled into my buddies shop, back up into a parking spot to leave it running while I run inside, looked at my oil gauges both factory and mech. They were sitting on the big fat 0 mark shut it down. my gut fell, dizzy and wanted to through up... Got out of the truck looked around no oil anywhere on the ground or in the area for that matter... Have 1500 miles on the oil change motor now has 3254 miles on it. Went inside and took a breather. After about an hour I pull and replace the oil filters. Started it up got 25psi on start then dropps bout 2lbs per 30 sec. I let the truck sit some more then back out there and fired right up 35 psi. Told my buddy I'm gonna limp home driving down the street 25psi stopped at a light 10 psi go again 25 psi at 1500 rpms chugged all the way home and parked the truck.. Now it's more like at 5 psi shutherdown. 24 hour sit come back out cold start 44 psi right off top but within a minute it's down into the low 30 range..Frick have to pull the oil cooler and fix that regulator here's where I'm at now. If I put another head on its a crap shot on how longs it gonna last does anyone else have better ways to remedy these obsolete parts...-cuss

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, inspect your parts. Could just need to clean it. Might be gummed up. What oil did you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of cases where the oil pump pickup tube cracked. Not easy to check on that one. Stuff like this is my worst nightmare.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of cases where the oil pump pickup tube cracked. Not easy to check on that one. Stuff like this is my worst nightmare.

I would check the oil pressure regulator at the filter first. If that is ok, then possible the pickup tube is cracked , as above said. To check that, overfill by about 3 quarts, that will flood the pickup tube and the pressure shouldn't drop like you indicated.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Delo 400 and the cooler is off to the shop so fingers crossed. Then if that don't fix it I'll do the method old bull mentioned.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone else have better ways to remedy these obsolete parts...-cuss
I've been kinda-sorta considering making some thick block-off plates with AN fittings and doing away with the factory oil cooler and replacing it with something bigger and better and more serviceable. Naturally a remote-mount head will be needed for the oil filter as well. Currently our oil cooler doesn't seem to be doing much of any cooling, on long grades under heavy throttle we can watch the oil temp climb to ranges that kinda make me wish there was no such gauge to look at LOL So if it needs opening and cleaning anyways (assuming cleaning it is still possible), and there are gains to be had by going stand-alone, then it may be worth the time to mess with it...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But, what would those oil Temps reach if you were using a air cooler?
Just something to ponder.

But I will agree more cooling would be nice. You should see the oil Temps some of us powerstroke guys are seeing. Lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score

But I will agree more cooling would be nice. You should see the oil Temps some of us powerstroke guys are seeing. Lol

It worked better on my 6.oh than the factory one ever could. Towing there was a huge difference. You just cant cool oil down effectively when your water temp is 190+*F.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Size matters! I was thiking of something that the factory intended to cool a big Allison in a medium-duty with 10-lug axles... Your PSD ain't got nothing on an auto trans with the hydro-retarder option :D

Also it was brought to my attention that since the IDI has the pressure regulator and bypass built into the rear oil cooler head a full-standalone remote mount may not work - mkay, no biggie, so the factory filter head stays and some creative TIG-welding gets performed to it instead.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
True. Lol
Nothing somebody with a mill and such can't produce. And still be able to throw in the regulator. Bypass may be a little harder.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I finally have an update to this problem......installed a good used oil filter head started it up and had 44 psi but then it bled off again not as fast but still did and when the fast idle came off it went down to 9 psi at 750 rpm... Engaged the clutch and went to 5 revved up to 2000 and back up to 43 psi I overfilled the crankcase by 3 quarts and no change soooo pan comes off now and have to put a new oil pump in. Fun fun fun

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Hold on there cowboy! There is nothing wrong with 9 psi at idle. That is pretty normal. The factory oil pressure gauge is set to indicate at a pressure of over 7 psi. Actually, as long as there is some oil pressure at idle you´re ok. The engine gets it´s protection from the film of oil, not the pressure. If the engine is making over 40 psi at high idle you´re good.

From your sig, it looks like this engine should make some good power. Have you had it on the dyno?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Noticed my 300 gasser did that when I first got the mechanical gauges installed. 40 psi on startup, 18-20 psi at normal idle when warm. I've heard the IDI's are similar with lower pressure at idle and make like, what, 10 psi per 1000 rpm?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you overfilled the crankcase, if the oil pressure was better than before that would indicate a cracked oil pump pickup tube. Since the oil pressure didn't change, a cracked pickup tube would be ruled out. I don't think our oil pumps go bad all at once. If you reused the original oil pump it is probably ok. Oil pressure at hot idle is a bit low. I see more like 20psi with the same ev2 gauge. At 2000 rpm I am about 45 psi.

joel1847

Reaction score
Are both gauges run off of the same sending unit or at the same spot on the block? Real curious as to what's wrong.

Joel
norcal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online