7.3 idi knocks when warm

mustangmalibu

Reaction score
Hello all! Awhile back I posted that I had a tapping sound on my 7.3 idi.
I have replaced the injection pump, injectors, lifters, and it still knocks when it warms up.
When it is cold, and you start it, it purrs like a kitten. A mile down the road, and only when you accelerate, it starts tapping like a fuel knock, another 2 miles down the road, it sounds like a lifter or loose rocker arms. Another couple of miles, it sounds like a rod is gonna blow anytime. Yesterday, I was driving home, and I noticed that the oil pressure guage was acting more like a tachometer. Drops to 10 psi at a stop light , and when you start to push the gas to go you get a tapping noise, and when it really warms up, it knocks. I have been battling this for months now and I need the truck badly. I was thinking maybe the oil pump is plugged or a hole in the pickup tube?
Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Here are some links to videos:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Listening to that and watching the shifter indicate you have a miss at low rpm light load (3rd video) makes me think it may take a tear down to find it.
Is compression good? Even? Is the blow by stream with oil cap off steady or does it puff? Oil consumption? Smoke?
These things may help pin it down, but a tear down may be in order.

mustangmalibu

Reaction score
Compression was in the high 300 to low 400 psi range on all cylinders.
Smokes is black, but only when you hammer it. No oil consumption to speak of. I removed the timing cover a couple of days ago and noticed that whoever rebuilt it got the cam gear 180 degrees out. I thought for sure that must be it and put it all back together, thinking I had it.
It fired up faster and ran like a top until I got it warmed up, and then the knocking came back and it sounded like a healthier knock, but a knock none the less...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IIRC the oil pressure spec is a minimum of 10 PSI on a hot idle. The general rule of thumb is 10 PSI for every 1000RPM that you're running. At a stop sign, you're engine is turning less than 1000 RPM. You're fine there. Unfortunatly, if they couldn't even get the cam gear lined up right, I'm wondering what else may be wrong.