7.3 IDI into 96 f150

WCSF350

Reaction score
My 96 f150 died back in december and I had to buy another truck, but I still have the 96...just couldn't part with it. It's a great truck. 4x4, 5 speed manual (mazda), fairly new clutch and slave cylinder...the engine is just trashed. I was toying around with the idea of getting an old 7.3 IDI diesel and putting it under the hood. I don't know if I will be able to use the clutch and existing trans. I know, from the little I've read about switching from gas to diesel, that I'd need a bunch more parts than just the engine to make the swap work, but I was wondering just how hard would it be. I'd be doing all the work myself so my only expense would be parts and maybe a few new specialty tools. Anyone who's done this swap, I especially want to hear from you. Thanks.

pease

Reaction score
I would think that you'd need to get a zf5 from a 250 or a 350 with the 7.3 in it, or one of those 4 speeds. Maybe front leafs or even solid axle dana 60 from a 350

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be concerned about the additional weight on the front!

These 7.3s are damm heavy! I guess you would add at least 300 pounds on the front axle. Probably 400, because you need to image that these big diesel engines do not ready easy start. An additional battery should be in also. Especially in cold conditions to make it starts in winter.

The engine is ok. I have such an engine in my E 350. But you will make handling worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker