7.3 IDI headers

blakpete91

Reaction score
Looking at letting my IDI breath a little easier so I was just going to redo my whole exhaust starting with the manifolds back. Looking at 3.5 or 4 in back. Found this company that makes a set of headers for our rigs.

http://www.stans-headers.com/ford_headers.htm

If you scroll down it's item number 269

Does anyone have a set of these on their rig? Is it worth it? Here is a picture of them. (hmmm shiny) :sly

You must be registered for see images attach

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set on my 85. Full 2 inch on each side with glasspacks. It sounds great. I bought the truck with them on it, so I don't have a good sense of how much power it added, but the truck is strong.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I would save your money. The only real way to get more performance from these rigs is to put a turbo on. Turbo kits require your stock manifolds, so if you ever upgrade you would be stuck swapping back.
If your stock y-pipe is in good shape just go to a muffler shop and have them step it up to 4" and go with some form of a 4" exhaust.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have them on my 86. I ran 3" to the y-pipe. Then 3.5" to the stack. I like the sound and how well the work with my typ4 cam. I got the for $80 from a kid who didn't know what he had.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Years back, on a different forum, a guy dyno'ed before and after Stans headers. IIRC, he gained around 6-8 HP. I'm pretty sure it was under 10 hp gained.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some one on here quite awhile back got those headers from Stan, he had a hell of a time with them, they didn't fit. Might try searching "headers".

Black dawg

Reaction score
Some one on here quite awhile back got those headers from Stan, he had a hell of a time with them, they didn't fit. Might try searching "headers".

Seems like in the end though he was doing something wrong, and once he figured it out they fit fine.

I personally prefer a turbo, but I have seen before and after with those headers. No numbers to go off of, but power definitely was better, and the smoke that it had before the headers was completely gone.
If you have no plans of a turbo, I would give them a try.

blakpete91

Reaction score
Love this forum! I have no plans on ever putting a turbo. If it gets to that point I'll be looking at an engine swap. I'm after cooler egt, sound, and better air flow. Not shooting for power because after all its an idi not a racetruck. I'm just concerned with the fitment for one. Secondly I have no problems running the cast iron manifolds, it's the y pipe collector that bothers me. Looks like 2.5 in or so. Does any one know what size the outlet on the stock manifold is and if there is a bolt on adapter that slides on that collar for a bigger pipe size?
Thanks

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I have them on my 86. I ran 3" to the y-pipe. Then 3.5" to the stack. I like the sound and how well the work with my typ4 cam. I got the for $80 from a kid who didn't know what he had.

I was curious about a torque cam in a N/A truck with headers.. Good Power delivery in low rpm?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The member with all the fitment issues with stans headers finally got them sent back and they were made wrong.. So he said. The problem was they hit the oil cooler. Stans fixed that for him. Many here told him to hammer in that area but he didn't want to. We never did see the amount it was needed to make it fit. I feel 2 1/2 inch after the headers is more than enough. Remember these engines breath thru a 2 /12 in pipe all the way to the tail pipe. Its th emuffler that ckokes the flow. the oem ones fill up with soot. Be careful removing them too. they can be real heavy from the soot of 25 plus years of running.. As for hp gains.. Not much but they look grat..

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6-8hp is alot to be gained for a n/a an with a cam that's a great set-up for one staying n/a.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If you don't plan to turbo it then you may want to build it like my 86. It is scary fun! I ported and polished, typ4 cam, banks intake lid, and Hypermax cowl intake

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I'll load the video when I can