7.3 IDI headers

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That was taken before the stack was added. If I were to keep it under the bed, I was going to use an obs powerstroke exhaust.

Also use copper flange gaskets. For some reason I blew apart a regular gasket. I don't know why yet but, I have Mr. gasket copper seals now.

blakpete91

Reaction score
I have a facebook account but I think your video may be set to private. Either way I'll wait until tomorrow.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****, if you want a great sounding truck, just straight pipe it. I just put a 7.3 turbo in my truck and damn if I don't miss how good it used to sound.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust my local exhaust guy, and he was saying with these headers and a full flowing 3-4 inch exhaust he said on a dyno it came within a few HP of a turbo.
I don't know how true it is, but I do know the stock y pipe is really restricted and I don't see how opening up the exhaust and putting headers wouldnot gain you lots of power.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I trust my local exhaust guy, and he was saying with these headers and a full flowing 3-4 inch exhaust he said on a dyno it came within a few HP of a turbo.
I don't know how true it is, but I do know the stock y pipe is really restricted and I don't see how opening up the exhaust and putting headers wouldnot gain you lots of power.

I have heard that around here too, and maybe on the dyno the hp was close (but what egt), but in real world TOWING there is a big difference. I have been around a truck that had the headers on it, and it ran suprisingly well for no turbo, and no smoke. before I turboed my truck, I built a better y pipe, and 3 inch from there back. the power increase was substantial.

what transmission do you have?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that header video sounds GOOD!

straight pipe regular NA sounds like crap. just raspy and chitty. And its softer on the bottom end.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a muffler like this, you can tune it two ways. Have this on my PSD, sounds sweet on take off, but a nice hum down the interstate. It's about 6" dia. and 14" long overall. By putting the cups inside either way it changes the sound. Got it off Ebay, might still have a listing, been a couple of years since I got it. The connecting pipes are 3-1/2"

Attachments

• MUFFLER1.jpg
    MUFFLER1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
  • MUFFLER3.jpg
    MUFFLER3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 18
  • MUFFLER4.jpg
    MUFFLER4.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 18

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers and a nice free-flowing exhaust would have to make a noticeable difference on an n/a truck. The stock manifolds are very tight and restrictive.

To the OP, did you ever do anything with your exhaust?
Travis..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The advertisement used to be "up to a 30 percent increase in power". The shop I used to work at sold them ( at a markup of course). From my experience back in the late 90's, on a 6.9, with an older turbo setup, the headers made more power on the butt dyno. On a truck with a newer turbo and a 7.3, there didn't seem to be much difference. Of course, the newer turbos made more boost.