7.3 idi exhaust

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I did a custom Y collector for my 7.3 N/A, custom flanges, custom...everything. Flanges convert up to 4" right at the manifold, then up to 5" where the Y converges on the passenger side. That switches into a 5" heavy walled flex pipe (found it on the side of the road one day, must have fallen off a freight truck) and into a 5" straight thru magnaflow muffler followed by a 90 degree down turned miter cut ending before the rear wheels. It does sound good, but it is loud. I had plans to turbo it to cut some noise down a bit but picked up a bigger better truck before I got that in.

IH-GM IDI

Reaction score
I'm running a 4 inch straight pipe kit for a 7.3 PSD with the banks downpipe in place of the PSD down pipe. 2 and a half hours to install, 4 inches is a little big. Buuuut, it was cheaper than 3 1/2 at the time cookoo

Sounds great though! Really breathes! :Thumbs Up

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can delete all exhaust on these. ? They said to straight pipe it and it gives a really nice hum. Is this true? It's a 1990 Bus.

I would include some kind of muffler looking device if for no other reason.... the cop can't accuse you of not having one. 3" single would be my vote. Always a pain to get duals past a midship fuel tank or a tcase.

My buddy did straight-pipe his '90 IDI 5spd; turned up a couple flats. :sly It was choppy when you hammered down.

Tim McKay

Reaction score
When we got my sons truck (93 N/A) the muffler was rotted out, so I bought a Walker BTM (straight thru) for about $75 from Summit. Took it down on Buford Hwy and had it welded on for $25. Man it sounded good lugging down the road... Just like a Big Block with a non stock cam in it. I told him if he gets a ticket for noise, I was taking the truck away. He had no problems. If your not getting on it, its not loud.

Then we had the great fortune of hydro-lock IN THE N/A when it rained so much last spring (read my Public Service Announcement). So we replaced it with a factory Turbo 93 complete engine ( using the same Walker BTM) It no longer sounds good, and its even quieter when you get on it. The Turbo knocks down a lot of sound

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always a pain to get duals past a midship fuel tank or a tcase.

Another good reason to get rid of the dual tanks and go with one large one in the rear. If we could just find a good spot for the spare tire, there would be no reason not to change to the one single tank.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can delete all exhaust on these. ? They said to straight pipe it and it gives a really nice hum. Is this true? It's a 1990 Bus.

Is it an F-truck or an Econoline? I think the IDI-powered bus I'm responsible for is going to get dualed out, but with glasspacks or something - after I get everything else on it working!

Eli

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think the IDI-powered bus I'm responsible for is going to get dualed out, but with glasspacks
I did this one time. It was rather easy. It was just about a straight shot to the back. Maybe it was completely straight. I can't remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online