7.3 Heads on a 6.9

shocktrooper

Reaction score
Well after a month of fighting the post office to get my parts finnaly got the truck up and running! Runs damn good with those 7.3 heads on it and the convention is successful.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this discussion with my machinist years ago when I was rebuilding my 6.9. My heads needed to be resurfaced and they couldn't do it in house due to the hardness of the pre-chambers. One option was to outsource to another shop and who knows how long that would have taken. The other option was to use a set of heads they had in stock.

They were all ready to go (hot tanked, magnafluxed, rebuilt, new guides, etc) however the original owner of the heads concluded they cost of custom head bolts was too high and abandoned the idea, leaving the heads with the machinist. For all I know, they may still have them sitting on a shelf somewhere. I ended up opting for the third option, which was to buy a set of rebuilt heads at $800CAD for the pair. It hurt, but I needed my truck back together.

I still have the original heads in storage in case I decide to build another 6.9 some day.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
I had a few people tell me 7.3 heads would not work on a 6.9. But the guys on here gave me the part numbers for the 8 longer head bolts and washers to take up the space from 1/2 inch to 7/16. Then I took out the plugs in the water passages for cooling. And the 7.3 heads have stronger prechambers and a better swirl I have heard. But the truck no longer smokes and runs very very smooth for an old diesel.