7.3 fuel filter heater plug leaking

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I think I have my fuel drip narrowed down to the plug on the top of the filter housing that I believe is the heater plug. Its kind of an oval shape I think. (Its been a few days since I messed with it) I had been thinking it was the 2 piece filter leaking at the base or something and put on a wix that replaces that part and only has a drain and then noticed it was still dripping. The truck is real hard starting anymore and when it does run its puffing out blue smoke for quite awhile. I know I need my truck timed and probably need new ip and injectors soon but trying to save some cash for other projects right now.

Once warmed up it quits smoking. How do I go about fixing this leak on the filter head? Thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That electrical fitting has an o ring that gets hard. Then you have an air leak as the fuel back flows to the low end. The o ring is around $2.50 at international and buy two... Keep one in the glove box as a spare. Do a search here and see how easy it is to repair this. The part number will be in the same posts too....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its pretty common for those to leak after a while. Its just a simply oring that gets replaced. If you buy high quality fuel filters like Baldwin's they come packaged with the orings for both the fuel heater and the water in fuel sensor so you can change them at every filter service.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Would this make it run rough for quite awhile after first starting? I kept thinking it was cold related or glowplug but it was starting at below zero last winter with crappy glowplugs. This year it has a lot of new stuff on it, all new motorcraft plugs. I keep saying that it has to be air that is causing this but figured any air would be gone quickly when running.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep most definitely would cause it to do that. It happens to us every once in a while too. Most of the time when those orings leak its just a little damp spot you see on the filter, but its enough for air to get into the system.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool its crazy how sensitive our engines are to air but I guess they aren't under high pressure or anything. I don't think theres anything else to let air in after I fix this leak. I just need to get the o-rings and install it. I really appreciate the help guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86