7.3 exhaust downpipe: same as 6.9?

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '89 F250 (NA 7.3) has a crack in the Y-pipe... can I look for a replacement from any NA 7.3 or 6.9 engine? I am torn on whether to try and fab duals by cutting the pipe ahead of the crack, or just replacing the pipe altogether. Truck is a beater, body-wise, so the cheaper the better. Thanks all!

Chris

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
well the downpipes are only on turbos... but I am not sure if the Y-pipes are interchangeable. Since it is an option, I would definately got true duals, no mufflers out the back. but thats just me.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The small local guy quoted me less than 400 to do dual pips all of the way out the back with no muffler.
Might check the small guy shop and see if he can do it on the cheap?
I too would go dual, but I would run mufflers. Guess I am getting old

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Sorry for the faulty terminology... I call the pipe that goes down from the header to the rest of the exhaust the downpipe. Sorry if that was confusing!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the 6.9l and 7.3l use the same Y-pipe setup.

Where are you located? I still have my old exhaust with an intact Y-pipe, that's going to need to go bye-bye soon, if you're close enough and interested...

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Warden, but I'm clear out in the cornfields of IL. I suspect shipping it would be too much hassle for you, no? I would cover costs, of course. Thanks for thinking of me nevertheless!

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liddledoggie said:
i'm about 100 miles east of chicago. i got one that needs to go bye bye too

Whereabouts? My brother is in Delphi, IN (Lafayette area) and works at Grissom Air Museum (Peru area). Thank you, sir!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y pipes are all the same, unless your talking an International truck application. Be advised! Some new third party (like Walker) exhaust manufactures make an inferior Y pipe to even the factory one. They have reduced diameter plumbing. :puke: Get yourself an Auto Jet (I think) Y pipe that is BIGGER (3")?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Y pipes are all the same, unless your talking an International truck application. Be advised! Some new third party (like Walker) exhaust manufactures make an inferior Y pipe to even the factory one. They have reduced diameter plumbing. :puke: Get yourself an Auto Jet (I think) Y pipe that is BIGGER (3")?

That is what I bought, the Auto Jet and I am very impressed. Nicely made, 3 inch id. The pipes that hook to the manifolds are about 2 1/2 and then swell/merge into the 3 inch ID.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
CSCMC where exactly in IL are you? I'm just 35 miles north of bloomington / normal! my future brother in law has quite a bit of 6.9 and 7.3 parts laying around, let me know and I can check into it! he's got 2 parts trucks and 2 runners (kinda)

if you are close I'm sure we can getcha hooked up!

JP

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks liddledoggie and Headhunter_5.9! HH -- I am in east central IL, but the fiance is from Rockton, IL, so we drive up I-39 pretty frequently to head to her house. Are you along that route? We take it from Bloomington to Rockford... long BORING drive!

Thanks again for all the advice, folks!

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
well let's put it this way, I can see RTE-39 from the house! it's about a 6 min drive from one of 2 exits!