68 chevy c10 6.5 td

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I paid $140 for the whole kit. I couldn't sell it for less than $80. You would still come out ahead but if your using the fine spline input it wouldn't be cost effective.

I just did a trans swap on a 89 chevy with a nv3500. That thing is the same input size and spline count as any 4spd truck trans. 10 spline. But the flywheel bolt pattern is different. now that ws a 4.3l gasser

Yea a nv 3500 is a 10 spline. I'm using a t5. I had a nv 3500 in a s10 and the 4.3 broke the bell housing. I didn't think it would work behind the 6.5. That's a great price but you are right I would only use the pressure plate.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI chevy nv4500 uses the same 10 spline shaft as the old trucks. Not sure on t 10 car stuff
Yea I know most car trans are 10 spline. The super t10 is a 26 spline 12 inch clutch. The only clutch that is 26 spline and 12 inch. It took me a month to find what would work. I have a friend that works at AutoZone he told me about the t10. He showed me the clutch and it is beefy.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Now that I think of it I may have to moth ball that clutch setup.

My neighbor has a 64 short fleetside with a inliner and sm420.

I've also been thinking of doing a 6.2 swap in that truck. But I plan on using a nv3500 I have with it. Only sad thing is I really like the pre 64 knee kicker cabs and have a ***** for 60-61s because of the hydraulic clutch and torsion bar front end (in my mind beefier and rides nicer) GM realized how much it cost to produce it and stopped.

Anyways I could always add in a hydraulic clutch for it. I plan to make zero power and sip fuel so a NA engine won't hurt a 3500 if you treat it nice. I love the ratios in that trans. Germans know how to do it

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yea I know most car trans are 10 spline. The super t10 is a 26 spline 12 inch clutch. The only clutch that is 26 spline and 12 inch. It took me a month to find what would work. I have a friend that works at AutoZone he told me about the t10. He showed me the clutch and it is beefy.
So your using a GM t5 but you want to run a t10 clutch because it's beefier?

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it I may have to moth ball that clutch setup.

My neighbor has a 64 short fleetside with a inliner and sm420.

I've also been thinking of doing a 6.2 swap in that truck. But I plan on using a nv3500 I have with it. Only sad thing is I really like the pre 64 knee kicker cabs and have a ***** for 60-61s because of the hydraulic clutch and torsion bar front end (in my mind beefier and rides nicer) GM realized how much it cost to produce it and stopped.

Anyways I could always add in a hydraulic clutch for it. I plan to make zero power and sip fuel so a NA engine won't hurt a 3500 if you treat it nice. I love the ratios in that trans. Germans know how to do it

Yea me I hate hyd clutches. A 6.2 in a 64 would be awesome. I wish I kept my 57 GMC step side LB would be cool for a 6.2. If you keep the pump stock it will sip. If you turn it up it gets a little thirsty. My 89 ford idi ate fuel like crazy. I had it turned up a little to hot. It would blow black smoke all the time with a load. Ran great would also eat glow plugs every 6 months. It was fun tell the tranny gave up.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your using a GM t5 but you want to run a t10 clutch because it's beefier?
No not because the clutch is beefy. Because its a 12 inch clutch a stock 6.5 clutch disk is 12 inch. That's why. I could find 10 inch clutch all day long that would not work with the flywheel. I know I know the t5 is weak.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
No not because the clutch is beefy. Because its a 12 inch clutch a stock 6.5 clutch disk is 12 inch. That's why. I could find 10 inch clutch all day long that would not work with the flywheel. I know I know the t5 is weak.
Yeah I understand now. Well shift smoothly and keep the boost low. it should last a minute lol

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the main pos cable routed. I routed it over the trans clamped it to the flange the runs over the trans. I got the clutch linkage done. I mounted and wired the baro sensor. I then finished the wiring on the engine I hooked it up to the factory harness in the valley of the engine. I also wired up the glow plug relay and the water sensor in the filter housing.
You must be registered for see images attach

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got intercooler mounted, carper installed, and a bb fan shroud.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have got some done. I removed the whole front core support and grill to cut the holes for the inter cooler piping. I repainted the whole core support and re-installed it. I then spent 1 week hand straightening each fin on the radiator and then painted it. I painted the shroud also and got the rad mounted. I bought all the steering parts and front drums and new steering box. I got the flywheel and clutch also. Damper and fuel manager screen also oil cooler fittings ordered. I will post pics in a couple days.

85F350IDI

Reaction score
I have a build thread on the 67-72 truck forum but not to many people interested. Thought people here might like to see maybe more love for the old idi detroits here.
I sure don't mind I've liked them ol detroits too, especially an old 2 stroke love those :) I wouldn't mind having a 6.5 powered 66 C10!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin