Plans for my Future IDI Build....

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. Ok, I've had these plans drawn up on paper since I started gr9 (im in gr11 now) and I finally decided ill share em with ya'll to get a few pointers, opinions and advice. I understand it sounds like a lot of money, but I DONT want a PSD, or a Cummins in my 77' considering this engine and trans will be swapped into it. I'm wanting to break the 380HP and 750FT-LB mark with this setup... maby touch into the 400HP/800FT-LB mark. Motor is a 89' 7.3l IDI and trans is a ZF-5.

here we go... In list form for the motor.

-ARP Head Studs
-Either a IDI Performance DB4-150 Inj. Pump or a RD4-180 Inj. Pump (Not sure)
-BB Code Injectors
-IDI Performance Main Girdle
-IDI Performance Stage 1 Cam
-IDI Performance Intake Manifold
-IDI Performance pistons shaved .060",Tri Coated and Cryo Treated
-Cryo'd IDIT Pushrods (if they will fit the N/A)
-Comp Cam PSD 910-16 Valve Springs
-Ported and Polished heads
-Holset HX35 Turbo W/ Wicked wheel and Mechanical Wastegate
-Custom Intercooler
-Maby a Water/**** Inj. Kit... not sure
-Homemade Turbo Headers (manifolds... wtv u wana call em)
-Water/Fuel Seperator
-Carrier/Faucet Electric Fuel Pump
-Coolant Filter W/ SCA's
-Dual Electric Rad Fans
-3G Alternator Swap

Transmission:

-Gear Vendors Under/Over Drive (For towing and Economy)
-Aux. Cooler(s)
-South Bend HD Clutch (the 375HP one)
-South Bend Single Mass Flywheel

What do ya'll think? Feedback is appreciated.... Just please don't heckle me... I know I'm not an IDI Expert, but I have worked in this for a long time and done a lot of research. Maby someone can tell me what head gasket to use. Some people have told me to use the Valair clutch, and also that the Holset HX35 with a Wicked wheel wont be enough, but to use a IDI Performance Stage 3 Turbo.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is the best site to ask these questions. No need to run a different pushrod on the valves with those springs you suggested. But if you want something better well then install a custom set of roller rocker and custom pushrods. Someone can direct you to the posts of last week detailing with pics this particular build. The custom aluminum roller rockers will cost you $800.00 but thats a very fair price for the reduction in valve scrubbing hp loosing friction. Really not sure you need the main girdle because these blocks and bottom ends are really well built and strong.