6.9L trans interchangeability?

Evil_Jester

it wont die...
Reaction score
hey everyone, ive got a question that ive been unable to find an answer for.
i have a 84 f250 2wd with a 6.9L and a c6 trans. my question is, does the c6 from a bigblock(429) have the same bellhousing bolt pattern? i understand that the shift points (and some internals) would be different, but if i was in a pinch could i swap engines or transmissions and make it work?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, ive got a question that ive been unable to find an answer for.
i have a 84 f250 2wd with a 6.9L and a c6 trans. my question is, does the c6 from a bigblock(429) have the same bellhousing bolt pattern? i understand that the shift points (and some internals) would be different, but if i was in a pinch could i swap engines or transmissions and make it work?
No.
The bellhousing patterns are different as well as the bolt hole dia.
the diesel C-6 guts are also bigger and stronger.
I've been canibalizing diesel C-6's for their internals to put into the BB gasser trans for years.

Evil_Jester

it wont die...
Reaction score
dang, thats a shame.
i was kinda getting my hopes up.
well, thanks for the quick reply.
wouldnt happen to know a good place to get rebuild kits for both gas and diesel c6's would ya???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best shot for you is a local NAPA. The kits are for the most part the same.
I source my kits from a warehouse that will only sell to licensed trans rebuild shops. In Kali, trans rebuilders are a state regulated animal. I'm not saying all are properly licensed and permitted, but the ones who have been around for some time have followed the rules.