6.9l to 7.3l IDI Swap

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 c6 and 3.55 gears Gets around 18.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome then, if I saw 15-18 all day I would be set. Im only looking for a srw and ext. Or crew cabs but only 4wd. If that's the case and the c6 is in good shape ill leave it be.

See my goal is to find an early 80's 250/3Auto, SRW, ext or crew (2 door ok too) 4x4 w/6.9/C6 combo with lower mileage (under 190k-ish, depending on price) with ultimately no rust rot or needing any major work. I want to buy it for myself as a 21st bday gift to myself before my bday in march '12 and I want this truck as a clean beautiful DD (also for work purposes) but to maintain it and make it last forever. However finding this trucks seems next to impossible; so my craigslist location and the allofcraigslist searches are useless. I don't care where the truck is, ill fly out and drive it home for the right truck or get it shipped if all else fails. No luck with ebay either.

My only alternative truck to my dream, is a 93-97 idi-turbo or PS, xlt ext. or crew cab SRW auto w/4x4 low mileage in stock, unmodified form. These are far more plentiful but asking prices for one in great shape are close to that of a new one around here.

I have decided to mainly shop for a southern truck; every search result here leads to SOMETHING being rusted out, be it fenders, frame cab corners, etc. I want NO RUST on this truck and when I get it it will be heavily undercoated for the salty NE life.

I would love some extra eyes and ears out there if you guys ever scan across something fitting my search. I know there's many members here across the us that can find deals id never know about just in my piddly craigslist searches.

Thanks guys

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can find them quite often not rusted out down south. I just missed an ext cab F250 with a 6.9 and T18 for $600 because it was missing on one cylinder. It had been sitting for about 2 years prior to that. I will keep an eye out for ya, But mobile to CT. is a long hop.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gunz, the extra eye is much appreciated, and no worries, I have a lot of family in the Mobile area anyways, could pay a little visit too while I'm down there (plus a free ride from the airport too, lol) Thanks for the help

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live about 3 miles from the airport, if that was an issue i could help a brother out. No worries.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help. I'm saving up now a good couple grand (hopefully around 10k to cover everything, truck, expenses to get the vehicle as well as get in home, registration, etc.). As much as I would love a cheapo truck again with just a few issues to pick up, I'm really looking for a diamond here because of a few reasons, a) I want this truck to be a mint DD, i've never owned one vehicle that didnt have some kind of issues, cosmetically or mechanically. For once, I want a DD that I can enjoy and work on while I own her. and b) coming from the south, this new truck has to be DRIVEN home, a trip that could spand hundreds of miles. I really don't want to limp the thing the whole way home with my fingers crossed lol.