6.9L starting questions

Aerobert1

Reaction score
My 93 f250, 6.9 IH diesel, sidewinder turbo (no intercooler) has an intermittant starting issue.

In the past 10 days it has become increasingly hard to start (cranks fast but no ignition). When it is cold, meaning that it hasn't been run in at least 6-7 hours it starts without any trouble (2-3 hours is not enough). When it is hot, meaning that it has been shut down in the last 5-10 minutes it starts without any trouble. It is only in the in between time that it won't start.

The scenario where it won't start (every time now) is where you drive it 30 minutes stop at teh store come out 30 mintues later - then nothing, no ignition. The next morning it starts fine.

I thought that it might be the glow plugs (and they are getting old anyway) so I replaced them and the controller. No joy.

My first thought was fuel but then why just in this time. Vapor lock? But why so long before it will start again. We're in Houston where it is hitting 98 at 80% humidity every day.

Any help/suggestions are welcome.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Heat soak. Next time this happens, take a 12 ounce room temperature container of water and pour it on the IP starting on the top cover and moving towards the injection line head. Wait 30 seconds and crank it. If it starts, your IP is shot.

Aerobert1

Reaction score
New IP new injectors

Seems to have cured the problem

Thanks