6.9l idi to 7.3l idi swap

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys this is what happen, my 84 1ton just bit the dust i think it locked up..... but i need the truck for work and really cant wait to try to figure this out... but i have a 7.3l idi from an 89 can i put that motor in my 84 and if so what will i need to swap? i just need it to work for the winter and then im going to change some stuff around.....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Should be a direct bolt in affair, everything is physically the same, they have different GP control systems, and I'd use the one on the 89 which is a solid state controller. Other than needing to supply power to that controller (heavy enough to control the GP load). It should be a pretty easy swap. Will bolt right in, the 89 may have a serpentine belt system which you can use or change that out too. Filter head is different, but will work (I run a 7.3 filter head on my 6.9).

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea of what kind of power i could get by putting a after market turbo on this thing and my real goal is 300 hp

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an easy swap. I've did it on my F250. 300HP is not going to happen with a typical IDI turbo and moddified fuel system. See my signature for my mods. See the FAQ's for the dyno event results form the 2009 IDI Rally.

Heath

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belt systems on the '84 and the '89 are the exact same. Dad's 1990 F-350 has multiple V belts. I don't think Serpentine's came until the 7.3 Turbo.

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an easy swap. I've did it on my F250. 300HP is not going to happen with a typical IDI turbo and moddified fuel system. See my signature for my mods. See the FAQ's for the dyno event results form the 2009 IDI Rally.

Heath

what are you planning todo with the dt466

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the weight that thing has to way a hell of alot more then the 7.3 and where did you get the badges made for your truck

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the weight that thing has to way a hell of alot more then the 7.3 and where did you get the badges made for your truck

The 7.3 isn't much heavier than the 6.9. the only difference between the two is either stroke length, or bore (I can't remember which). The block is the same basically, and most parts will swap between the two. More cubic inches doesn't necessarily mean more weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin