6.9 vs. 6.2 vs. 6.5

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know Cal, the problem is. Doing a ds4 delete/conversion isn't exactly what most people can handle on their own. I did that once for a customer. It was quite the undertaking. Luckily i left the ECM in place and hooked a tps up to the injector up and she shifted like nothing was wrong.

That engine broke the crank about 8000 miles later. Told customer to keep eye on harmonic balancers. He did not want to replace at the time i was doing the conversion.
imho both of us fall into the category of doing anything in a shop just about anything as long as the money is there :D
i have a 4L80E behind a 6.5 mechanical rewire once the temps cool down a little.
shoebox 'burbs were a required vehicle amongst my relatives for years.

Attachments

• SL376357.JPG
    SL376357.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 50

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im a 6.2 fan in light applications, 6.9 in heavy applications. Im will never own another 6.5 unless I get it for free and im about done with 7.3's also, due to me having valve issues and hearing of quite a few cavitation issues. Plus the leaky filter heads and typical air intrusions issues on top of it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9/7.3 are medium duty International truck motors stuck in a pickup. The 6.2/6.5 are designed as light duty truck motors, originally supposed to fit between the 350 & 454 motors. I've never worked with them much, but what i have heard is that they work well in light duty application and will get great fuel mileage. However, they are not good motors for heavy towing and will not live long under abuse.

Look at the weights - 6.9/7.3 ~1200 lb. 6.5/6.5 ~700 lb. Big difference.

The machinist I worked with said he'd always see GM diesel breaking the crack in half. Don't know how accurate this is.

Personally I wouldn't mind a GM diesel in a light run around truck (1/2 ton w/ occasional towing) but would absolutely go with the IH motor for towing or heavy service.

I don't think we'll see much issue getting parts anytime soon either. There's enough of the 6.9/7.3 motors out there and still in use that I doubt there will be issues.