6.9 smoke miss cant find out why

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
me personally i wouldnt run any gas in the engine. Yes some people have done it and thats great, but to me its not worth damageing the engine. I would instead use power service and clean the tanks.

Personally I would take this /\ /\ advice. After you clean the tanks (With your Bro's help) dump in a whole gallon of the Power service in about 5-10 gallons diesel. Of course change the duel filter first, then change it again after burning that tank. Gasoline will/can coke up the injector tips. Read this article.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/mixing_gasoline_and_diesel.htm

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Scrap my idea, I thought it would work but didnt know what real cost it would cause. I would use diesel kleen or something similar made for diesels, I appologise to Nicp and all of the guys on this thread for my idea I though it was good. After seeing that article that really opened my eyes. I only done that trick once and will never again, I think after you get it all cleaned out and running good, I'd use Stanydine additive to keep it clean. :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
"The light distillates that gasolines are made from have a natural high-octane index. The middle distillates that diesel fuels come from have a high cetane index. The octane and cetane indexes are INVERSE scales. A fuel that has a high octane number has a low cetane number, and a high cetane fuel has a low octane number. Anything with a high octane rating will retard diesel fuel’s ability to ignite. That’s why each fuel has developed along with different types of engine designs and fuel delivery systems. Gasoline mixed in diesel fuel will inhibit combustion in a diesel engine and diesel fuel mixed in gasoline will ignite too soon in a gasoline engine."

can someone explain this to me? I know about octane and cetane, but it seems to me he has it completely backwards about what one fuel will do in a different engine.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
i did use power services what we use at work. i put one bottle in the tank iam going to pull my filter tommarow and try filling filter but i think its still a injector i have some bbs out of a 7.3 will they go right in a 6.9 ?

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
ok so today i droped tank cleaned it got it running again smoked just a hair so i cracked my injectiors lines wile it was running and i found to bad so replced them with some from auto parts store still no diffents i dont know what to do i also found out my drivers head gaskets is leaking out the front of the head so now iam so mad iam about to pull motor out and just shove a used one in it

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so today i droped tank cleaned it got it running again smoked just a hair so i cracked my injectiors lines wile it was running and i found to bad so replced them with some from auto parts store still no diffents i dont know what to do i also found out my drivers head gaskets is leaking out the front of the head so now iam so mad iam about to pull motor out and just shove a used one in it

Pretty common with these engines. If you decide to put another used idi in your truck, you will probably end up in the same situation if it hasn't had the headgaskets replaced already. Better to just fix the engine you got in my opinion.
In most cases, these stock engines will "weep" a little coolant from the headgaskets and will continue to do that for many miles without any catastrophic effects. The factory headgaskets are not that great and the tiny 6.9 headbolts tend to stretch ....

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
so i read mels thread i found on old sight about head gaskets do you guys think pulling motor the best was if i do iam studing it and pan gasket and maybe main berings

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
this truck was perfect ran and drove like a cadillac now i have nothing but trouble but i bet it some thing small or at least i hope. but the head gasket thing by flushing my system last week i noticed it had some sliver stuff in it well to day wile changing my glow plugs i found the cap to bars stop leak. so iam gussing this had been a problem for a wile now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.